News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Greece - A Lt. Colonel

I found this picture of a Greek Lt. Colonel. I reckon its @ 1955 or so, but maybe it's even later.

Perhaps one of the very bad men who took part in the coup.

His medals are really interesting.

I don't know who he was, but I spot no less than 7 awards for the WW2 gallantry cross (two medals:also given for the subsequent communist civil war).

He has the Gold Cross of Valour, the order of George II and the order of the Phoenix as well.

Notably, he has the resistance and war medals at the right end of the bar.

Ulsterman,

Thanks for posting this great pix! I do not know the officer's identity but note the commander's badge worn below his Phoenix [military] commander appears to be that of the Order of St. Denis of Zante. This is only the second photo I have seen [in over 50 years!] of a serving Greek officer wearing this Order. Quite interesting that the officer wears it along with his Greek official decorations.

Perry [Pericles] Voultsos established the Order of St. Denis of Zante, a "private or international award", in the U.S.A. in the 1950s. Voultsos presented the Order to many prominent individuals including American Presidents and King Paul in efforts to legitimate it. Perry also 'awarded' it to less well known in return for monetary contributions intended to be used in reliving poverty on the Greek island of Zante. Several websites describe the Order of St. Denis of Zante in varying terms of accuracy and 'legitimacy'. Reportedly, Thomas Taglianetti now heads this Order.