News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1956, as my Grandfather saw it.

Guest Rick Research

Compare these extraordinary photos with Bill Garvy's researched Soviet Order of the Red Star for a Soviet ambushed bringing up ammunition:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=39727

Compare these extraordinary photos with Bill Garvy's researched Soviet Order of the Red Star for a Soviet ambushed bringing up ammunition:

http://gmic.co.uk/in...showtopic=39727

We can really thank the good fate that we are in a position that we can look at the history of both sides like this, safe behind a computer screen.

GMIC really creates perspectives!

Thank you all for this!

Péter

:beer:

Street fighting at the Republic Square.Note the Hungarian flag with the hole in the middle, up in the left corner.

The hated Rakosi coat of arms of the communist government was cut out and the flag with the hole became the symbol for the revolution.

Edited by Peter Nyitray

Hungarian freedom fighters at the Republic Square. The large building in the background was the seat of the Communist party. Soldiers and officers of secret police was under siege inside as groups of freedom fighters tried to clear the building in the afternoon the 30.th October. A group of Hungarian tanks, loyal to the revolution arrived at the scene and started to shell the building. Eventually the ÁVH secret police surrendered after fierce fighting. Not even red-cross personal was spared from the ÁVH fire and was deliberately targeted my the secret police sharpshooters. They were later targeted by the peoples rage for this.

The HPR Police uniform thread page 3 shows the street corner of this building earlier this day !!

Edited by Peter Nyitray

Beside one photo that's a bit graphic for this forum, this is the last of my grandfathers 1956 photos.

This is taken at his work, the elevator factory. Its a board signed by the works council that says;

Not before the withdrawal of all Soviet troops will we restart our work.

Hope you have found the photos interesting!

Péter

Edited by Peter Nyitray

• 2 weeks later...