News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

KIA purple heart to 20th infantry regt 6th division

scottplen

here my latest tough to find 6th division not sure on KIA # s of 6th i believe under 1000

anyway not much info on this one

born Aug 2 1919 Killed in action Jan 22 1945 PIs

from town of Salem Dent County Mo.

army service #37057776

can't find his enlistment record My guess he was active service pre 1938

any info a help wrote for IDPF

anyone have 6th infantry history looking for his company only know he was 20th regt

here my latest tough to find 6th division not sure on KIA # s of 6th i believe under 1000

anyway not much info on this one

born Aug 2 1919 Killed in action Jan 22 1945 PIs

from town of Salem Dent County Mo.

army service #37057776

can't find his enlistment record My guess he was active service pre 1938

any info a help wrote for IDPF

anyone have 6th infantry history looking for his company only know he was 20th regt

• 1 month later...

Scott,

Very nice. You are correct that 6th Infantry Division KIA Purple Hearts are tough to find. Stanton indicates 410 KIA and 104 DOW for the division. Interestingly enough, I also have a posthumous Purple Heart to a member of the 6th ID, 20th Regiment who was also KIA on January 22, 1945 on Luzon, PI. The PH in my collection is government hand engraved to a Sergeant Ernest W. Miller. This was only recently acquired and I have sent for the IDPF. Sorry, that I have no further details on company of assignment etc .......

Scott,

Very nice. You are correct that 6th Infantry Division KIA Purple Hearts are tough to find. Stanton indicates 410 KIA and 104 DOW for the division. Interestingly enough, I also have a posthumous Purple Heart to a member of the 6th ID, 20th Regiment who was also KIA on January 22, 1945 on Luzon, PI. The PH in my collection is government hand engraved to a Sergeant Ernest W. Miller. This was only recently acquired and I have sent for the IDPF. Sorry, that I have no further details on company of assignment etc .......

Lance

would love to see a pic.

my 6th took me a few yrs to find ! I will see if i can find any info on Your guy ! sometimes i get lucky!

scott

Scott et al,

Here are some pics of the Sergeant Ernest W. Miller Purple Heart. I was really happy to acquire this scarce unit Purple Heart in exceptional condition. According to the ABMC, Miller also won a Bronze Star but I have no further information on this award. Miller was from Louisville, Kentucky.

Last shots.

Scott,

What a pair we have, both KIA on the same day from the same unit. I find it interesting that that my piece is government hand engraved while your example is a small machine engraving. And both from the very same time period. If you are able to discover any information on Miller I would be most appreciative.

NICE !!! I love the hand engraved type ! I think it was who ever filled the engraving order completely random !

I have a late war 1945 KIA hand engraved ! I wonder if the new each other??? if the died in same action???

I found some info you probably already Know He had a Bronze star also and buried in Manila american cemetery I will keep looking would be cool if they were in same company!!

scott

NICE !!! I love the hand engraved type ! I think it was who ever filled the engraving order completely random !

I have a late war 1945 KIA hand engraved ! I wonder if the new each other??? if the died in same action???

I found some info you probably already Know He had a Bronze star also and buried in Manila american cemetery I will keep looking would be cool if they were in same company!!

scott

I just got a nice engraved group of a soldier KIA in the PI late in the war also. Would like to compare notes for battle info! James

Edited by Gldank

PFC Benjamin F. Aubin, #31263586 of Lowell, MA. Born 1924, enlisted May 13, 1943, KIA Luzon, Philippines January 25, 1945, Age 21.

Ben was part of Company M, 27th Regiment (The Wolfhounds) of the 25th Army Division. The 27th Regiment landed at Lingayen Gulf over "White Beach 2," approximately one mile North West of San Fabian on the island of Luzon in the northern Philippines. From mid January until late February 1945, the Regiment was tasked to clear highways 3 and 8, south and east of Lingayen Gulf. Unlike the common jungles of Asia, this terrain was flat rice paddies and pastures, devoid of cover, except for small streams and irrigation ditches. The Japanese were stubborn defenders, with dug in infantry supported by tanks and anti-tank guns. Early in the day of January 25, 1945, Ben was “wounded in his left arm by shrapnel and reported to an aid station for treatment.” He was then “ordered to evacuate the line but voluntarily returned to his hard pressed buddies to fight the oncoming enemy. A few minutes later, hell broke loose and an enemy mortar shell landed right beside him, wounding him and causing death 10 minutes later.” Ben “said he was hit, and then fell unconscious with a smile on his face (?). He mumbled a short prayer and then passed away without pain.”

As far as I can tell so far in my research, Ben was killed outside the town of Binalonan that faced the Japanese 2nd Armored Division reinforced by the Japanese 63rd infantry with a total enemy strength in the area of 500.

I received this KIA group directly from the daughter of Ben’s younger brother (who later served in the Korean War). I hold Ben’s machined engraved cased and white boxed Purple Heart set with appropriate forwarding cards and certificate. His Machine engraved cased Bronze Star with brown paper citation letter. Photo and news paper articles of Ben’s father receiving his posthumous medals. A signed presentation certificate by the Governor of Massachusetts and the naming of a Lowell city square after Benjamin. Photos of Ben before and during the war. Japanese occupation money, “Crossing the Line” cards for crossing the equator onboard ship in transient to the Philippines. A sexy photo pose of Ben’s girlfriend back home. A two page letter from fellow soldiers who witnessed Ben’s death. And a few other minor items.

What is even more interesting is that Benjamin's mother died 6 months before Ben of TB and I have her death certificate and also the marriage certificate of his mother and father. Ben's younger brother John went on to serve in the Korean war as a medic with an Armored unit, survived the war and died in 1967 (another research project). I have some of brother John's medical items and more pictures. Strange what comes from family groups. Thank you for the kind comments. cheers.gif

Edited by Gldank

• 1 month later...

What is even more interesting is that Benjamin's mother died 6 months before Ben of TB and I have her death certificate and also the marriage certificate of his mother and father. Ben's younger brother John went on to serve in the Korean war as a medic with an Armored unit, survived the war and died in 1967 (another research project). I have some of brother John's medical items and more pictures. Strange what comes from family groups. Thank you for the kind comments. cheers.gif

That is a very very nice fully documented group! Thanks for sharing. Captain George Albert

• 2 years later...

scott

I can not believe you have this!!! This is my father's Uncle Ernie!!!! Yes he is buried in Global City, Taguig, Metro Manila, died on 1/22/1945, he was born in Louisville, KY To Richard Henry Miller and Ida Bel Harley Miller on 1/20/1915.

Please if you would ever wish part with I know my faher who is the son Ernie's older brother would love have it.