News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

EK1 spange. Mayer no vein?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

I have not come across an agreed original spange, (certainly not a 2nd pattern one anyway), in either reference books or on the forums that doesn't have the 'veins' running through the wings. Of course, just because I haven't seen one doesn't make this a reproduction or fake, but for me personally I'd be very cautious about it.

Hopefully some of the real spange experts will chime in on this for you as well.

Hi David

Thanks for your reply. I've since found out from a couple of spange guys, that this is actually a Mayer type with no Veins. Mayer apparently made three models, With veins, short veins & no veins, also with, I believe, three types of pin.

I've since found three identical other types like this all with the Mayer features, especially the talons, date and head, here is another example..

Chris

Hello Chris

That's very useful and interesting information. I've always been led to believe that the only ones without veins are the 1st and intermediate type spanges. So as long as everything else matches, then a Mayer without veins is ok. I wonder if other makers also did these without veins?

Good point David. The spange collecting field is still a Gray area, a lot of doubts and many different opinions on what's good / bad, with this reason in mind and the fact that there are no photographic comparisons readily at hand, apart from searching through old threads, I've asked the gents over on MCF to post large, clear photos of their collections in order to start a spange database. Hopefully, it will be an excellent resource for those, like myself, who are confused with all the different types out there.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Chris

That's very useful and interesting information. I've always been led to believe that the only ones without veins are the 1st and intermediate type spanges. So as long as everything else matches, then a Mayer without veins is ok. I wonder if other makers also did these without veins?

In answer to your question, the following makers made EKII spanges without veins: L/18, L/53 and L/56. In the EKI spanges only Mayer made them. Jim

• 4 weeks later...