News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My earliest little German medal bar...and perhaps my favorite.

It is rim enscribed:

"A. Meyer (unlaut above the y,which I find odd) v. F. Moller" (unlaut above the o)

Does anyone know if there is a Hanoverian roll for Laganzala out there?

I had assumed the v. stood for "Von" which would strongly hint at an officer. But maybe I am wrong?

Thanks for any help.

There is not a roll for the Langensalza medal. About the best source to get information about a name on the rim is with the 1865 Hannover State and Court Book. Unfortunately I have lent my copy to a friend and can not access it. Send me an email and I will try to check when I get home from the MAX show.

Guest Rick Research

I've never seen TWO names like that. It can't have been that Möller gave the medal to Meyer, so the only thing I can think is that the man legally changed BOTH his names and was Meyer "f ormerly" Möller. Have never seen a first name changed on altered paternity status before though.

"Freiherr" is usually abbreviated as "Frhr." or maybe even "Fr." which would be unlikely, but there's not much space on the rim of a medal. ;)

Could we please see the text on the rim? I wonder if it's the usual style of letters, or another one...

Possibly it is a present? Later replacement medals were not named, but those would have space to engrave a dedication. Never seen before this, but "A. Meyer v. F. Moller" cannot be one name.

Alas, the family digicam is my daughters' "my little pony" instasnap, so an up loadable pic. probably won't be possible....unless Stogie can bring his camera to the Lowell show(hint hint).

The rim inscription seems to be "typed" font.

Why the unlaut above the "y" in Meyer?

Guest Rick Research

Old fashioned way to distinguish ÿ from the multiple-use One Dot Per Branch "j" which in Meyer would be Meier.

I try not to go that far back. Very different language.