News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: The medal bar would have been a puzzle, but the ribbon bar explains all--

like many a Prussian Gold Military Merit Cross winner, our valiant young Saxon wore BOTH his Saint Henry Medals in his buttonhole rather than consign them to place behind the mere EK2.

The key to which double Saint Henry Medal winner is the Hohenzollern Silver Merit Medal X-- wish I had the Roll for that class.

Here he is:

Silver Medal 31 August 1916 as Gefreiter in Saxon Inf Rgt 134

Gold Medal 1 December 1916 ditto.

Guest Rick Research

Note that he simply did not bother listing his Friedrich August Medal in bronze-- a "given."

Here, in his own words, is his account of how he earned the Gold (note the time lag between events described and receiving the Medal):

Guest Rick Research

and the rest of his story of lying in a landscape of lunar shell-holes under the open sky during the horrors of the Somme, facing human wave of Highlander assaults for days under artillery barrages from which there was no shelter...

Perhaps most incredible of all, Heinert was the only member of his company to survive the entire war-- Day 1 to the Armistice

without ever being wounded. :Cat-Scratch: :speechless1:

Guest Rick Research

As recounted in the 1936 tale of every Gold winner--

A typewritten directory for and by the Gold winners from the same period simply lists Comrade Heinert as living at Carolastraße 52, Plauen i. Vogtl.

He simply returned to ordinary civilian life.

An outstanding once in two lifetimes-- his and yours-- group. :beer:

Wow, congratulations!

And me fool thought about buying it but did hesitate... :speechless:

Lucky Don. :whistle:

PS: but do you know what's odd? I have a picture of another medal bar attributed to Heinert, with Heinrich duo, Hohenzollern medal, but no FAM...

Guest Rick Research

Got a scan?

Two medal bars for very different styles of wear would not be impossible-- just wondering where the "real" St Henry Medals are and whether Spangenstücke are on the medal bar you've seen or were the lapel wear version now missing from this style of display?

And a special thanks to Rick for helping me puzzle thru this one. I have a special affinity for enlisted groupings and it is rare to put a face/name to them.

Guest Rick Research

So many groups from so many people, that had slipped my mind.

Interesting that a fellow so modest he isn't wearing ANY indication of his awards for his "official portrait" should apparently have had different versions of his array for fashion as the moment moved him.

If those are the ISSUE St. Henrys, then that makes Don's task easier-- just needs to find Spangenstücke duplicates for completing the display. Or maybe because the medal bar retained by the family has clip fronts, he simply slid those two medals on and off when he felt like wearing them in his lapel.

As can be observed from his "pre-Hindenburg" ribbon bar-- he certainly had his own ideas about how to wear his magnificent decorations! :cheers:

I wonder if that bar is the one from his funeral pillow.

I don´t think so. Heinert died in the GDR. Funerals with orders from an "imperialistic, militaristic" State in my opinion wasn´t common during that time.

As I stay in contact with the grandson of Walter Heinert I would be interested where you get these piece of barbeer.gif

Gruß Stefan