News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Fantastic Verdun Group...

Who would have figured... a Verdun grouping in the US section :-)

This is a group of stuff to Major Seymour of the 104th FA.

Inspite of the divisional badge on the Helmet this Arty regiment did NOT serve with its division during the war. Instead it served with the 33rd and then 79th division and fought on the old verdun Battlefield,

Hi,

It was on the e-stand years ago. always had it in a drawer meaning to find out where he served....

only this week did I find it was at Verdun.

I have the regimental history that I am going to add maps and pics to and put on kaisers cross to add to the US part.

Best

Chris

wow-treasure right under our noses. Wasn't the 104th supposed to be part of the 26th Yankee Division?

Hi,

27th division, but the artillery brigade did not serve with the division. I am guessing this must have logistical reasons, the American Army had their artillery given to them by the French. The 27th division served with the British. Probably for that reason they sent their arty off to a non Brit sector.

Guest Rick Research

104th FAR was only creditted with "Meuse Argonne" offensive bar.

Any first name for the Major or clue where he was from?

Guest Rick Research

G. R.--

Not a graduate of West Point. Not from Connecticut. Not a graduate of Harvard.

Just the initials? :banger:

Guest Rick Research

Yes-- which makes full names and where he was from essential.

If he was a New Yorker, I have no sources. The family name is from Connecticut-- yup, ancestors/cousins. But cannot "search" on INITIALS.

Got to know WHERE to look and for WHOM. :catjava:

There is no G.R. Seymour listed in the officers roster from Volume II of the divisional history by O'Ryan. There are two Seymours listed, but no majors and none with those initials. The roster is very complete, it lists all those who at some time served with the 27th but were later assigned to other units both overseas and in the States. I also looked in the narrative section of Volume I for any reference to him in the divisional artillery and there is none (neither volume is indexed). I was hoping there might be some mention of him since with that rank he would have been a battalion commander. This makes me think that perhaps he may have served with another unit during the war and was assigned to the 27th very late and went home with the division in February 1919. Regarding the other comments about the 52nd FA Brigade's (104th, 105th, 106th FA Regiments) detached service, after the German spring offensive, the decision was made to give priority to shipping the divisional infantry regiments and MG units to France. Nearly all of the divisions which reached France after March 1918 in effect "lost" their artillery which arrived later along with the orgainc ammunition trains. As these artillery brigades trained and were employed, they supported those divisions which were in the line during the Meuse-Argonne offensive. Even the artillery brigades of the earlier divisions, once committed, stayed in the line to support other divisions. The seperated artilley brigades were reunited with the rest of their divisions after the armistice and went home with them. In sum, it had everything to do with operational necessity and nothing to do with logistics.

Hi,

the history of the 104th FA during the war mentions both battalion commanders September-November, one being "Major Seymour" which seems to fit with the group.

"The Volker-Stellung of the German defensive system runs east

out of a point just south of Consenvoye over the high ground across

the Brabant wood, skirts the Ormont wood and goes east at the south

edge of Moirey wood. At the point where this line crosses the

Brabant-Etraye road, Major Seymour's Battalion went into position

and further up the road on the left side Major Austin's Battalion

went into position. "

I suppose there may be a possibility of an error on the roles?

Best

Chris

• 4 weeks later...