News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

...... of my navy saxon super hero ??? OK , not the big fighting awards on the breast but for a navy soldier a very nice combo.... I can see :

- Prussia Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen

- Prussia Centenarmedaille

- SEHO cross of the order

- Saxony Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen

- Saxony Fríedrich August Medaille

- ????????????????????????

+ the pre-1913 DA-clasp

photo is made in Danzig and from the medal bar it has to be before 1913.

So , what could this last medal be???

Any input is welcome...

Guest Rick Research

Yes it was. May 1914-- Marine-Flieger-Abteilung Bootsmann BACHMANN

He only reached Deckoffizier rank in April 1913, so photo can date no earlier than that. 23 years up from Maat was a VERY long time.

Last award was a Turkish Ifthikar Medal.

Brooch is old model XXI. I only have peacetime Ernestines from mid-1911 on, but will see if I can find him in there for a first name. There are FIVE handwritten lists and that will NOT be a priority: effort versus likelihood of failure.

As a Petty Officer until April 1913 he is not shown in any previous Navy Rank List, so cannot guess when he got his peacetime awards. His Prussian General Decoration Medal in Silver would be in an Orders List.

Guest Rick Research

Deckoffiziere are appended to the Navy Rank Lists. There were 58 pages of them in 1908, but they'd expanded to 83 pages in 1914.

In a word:

"wow"

Yup - as always !!! :speechless1: so Turkey was a good shot , only the medal was wrong... :sleep:

Heiko owes you a BIG beer.

NO - think about his health !!! all what he is doing here cannot be solved with beers.... that would be the worlds biggest Maßkrug ever !!! :P

thank you so much

Heiko

3. Nachtrag der Königlich Preußischen Ordensliste 1905 (Verleihungen 1.2.1907-31.1.1908):

AEZ 18th January 1908 - Bachmann, Oberbootsmannsmaat bei der II. Matrosendivision

Not sure if the rank in 1908 fits to the Bachmann above :unsure:

Regards, Komtur.

it is interesting to know, that in 1913 the navy got their first Luftschiffe and started to train their crews first in Dresden, than in Hamburg-Fruhlsbüttel and later on in Cuxhaven. Teh Steuermann and the Maschinist of a Luftschiff where Deckoffiziere.

according to the List of Deckoffiziere from 1933:

- he was not one of the 719 Deckoffiziere who died in WW1

- he was not taken over in the Reichsmarine

and what supprised me most, the list doesn't list the Marine-Luftschiffabteilung, for aviation only the Marine-Landflieger-Abteilung with I. Seeflieger-Abteilung und II. Seeflieger-Abteilung is listed.

Is there a separete list for the Marine-Luftschiffabteilung, or what happened to those Deckoffiziere transfered to the Luftschiffe?

Guest Rick Research

That would be him in 1908-- AEz was "normal" at about 18 years (1890-1908) and he would have been promoted from Oberbootsmannsmaat to Bootsmann. :cheers:

No first name! :banger: I don't know what Bachmann would have DONE as the boatswain of naval airplanes-- probably simply the chief "executive" for discipline, duty rosters etc. Not a flyer himself.

No trace of him so far on the WW1 award rolls we have.

Glad you have the Deckoffizier Honor Rank List-- I have never SEEN one, and missd one many years ago, mis-listed by manion among reissue Scary Third Reich Marching Records. (Remember records? Round? Flat? Made music on special furniture?)

the Deckoffiziers Liste does list as duties for the 2 Deckoffiziere (Steuermann and Maschinist) on board of Luftschiffen:

Steuermann:

while home

- be aware of the condition of the gas - and controlling it "all the time"

- small repairs on the outer cover, gas-cells, ships-body and steering-mechanism of the airship

- taking care of the ship inventory and the paperwork regarding it

while flying

- navigation

- meterological navigation

- taking care of the "fuel"

Maschinist:

- similar to those on "conventional ships"

- managing of the engine

- taking care of the body (bones) of the airship as well as all electrical and mechanical things on board

i got mine as some kind of "coincidence" on a recent collectormeeting for less than an EK2 1914 costs these days ... and be quiet happy with it ... even though it does not list any awards or so (sample attached).

Guest Rick Research

No first names! :banger: Well, at least it gives entry dates and the otherwise "invisible" wartime promotion dates! :beer:

• 1 month later...

may I just use this "old" thread for another question on another Deckoffizier........ can we have hope to get this name too because of his medal bar combination? I think there are some facts that make it possible....

not in service 1897 but still in service after 1916.... Kriegshilskreuz , Live saving medal , china service and crown order medal - possible to hunt him down?

photo was made in Hamburg...

let`s see what is possible... :rolleyes:

thank you

Heiko