News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 Silver stars..

If I understand correctly, during the war the guys got a citation, this allowdd them to wear a silver star on their victory medal.

This happened 20 000 or so times in 1918.

Long after the war silver stars were issued.

Does anyone know how many WW1 vety actually applied for the stars?

Thanks

Chris

If I understand correctly, during the war the guys got a citation, this allowdd them to wear a silver star on their victory medal.

This happened 20 000 or so times in 1918.

Long after the war silver stars were issued.

Does anyone know how many WW1 vety actually applied for the stars?

Thanks

Chris

HI Chris!

Really hard to figure out, since they could apply for years after the war. I have asked a medal collector friend to see if he might know. I've had several SS that were issued around the 40s to WWI vets, and seen some nice BBB which were issued much earlier.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the earilest Silver Stars were issued at the same time as the Purple Heart, which was in 1932. I've seen Silver Stars issued to WW1 vets up into the 1960's. I'm sure there are some even later than that. Whenever the vet put in for it, the engraving will be of the style of the time. For example, the 1932 through WW2 will be hand engraved, with 3-4 different styles of hand engraving. All came out of Philadelphia. Post WW2 will have machine engraving.

Hope this helps some,

John

HI Chris!

Really hard to figure out, since they could apply for years after the war. I have asked a medal collector friend to see if he might know. I've had several SS that were issued around the 40s to WWI vets, and seen some nice BBB which were issued much earlier.