News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Imperial Russian Portrait

Bear

Hello,

My new purchase is an Imperial Russian Officer(maybe a general) circa 1810-1820. Ony information on the portrait would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

barry

The first three medals???

Order of St. Anne

Order of St. George

Order of St. Vladimir

Thanks George

Most of books are in storage for at least another month. I wish or wonder if I should have kept this book out. I can't find a picture of the explorer Gavrill Sarychev.

thanks,

barry

He looks abit like Gavrill Sarychev.

Just a guess.

Hes is also wearing a 20 yrs civil service ribbon and looks to be a St Johns cross below his neck award civil St Anne.

George

He wearing a 20 yrs Military service badge (St. George ribbon), civil service badge with St. Vladimir ribbon.

Sergei.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I emailed the author of the book pictured in post #5. In this huge world the author only lives about 1 hour from me. This is what he sent me after looking over the portrait.

Dear Barry,

I hope you had a wonderful New Year weekend. I did some research on the portrait and here are some of my findings:

The portrait was most probably painted between 1828 (based on uniform details) and 1832 (considering the lack of Virtuti Militari and Order of St. Stanislaw); this is further supported by the fact that all Russian officers were allowed to wear mustaches in 1831.

The portrait is of man wearing a general's uniform, with the following medals: Order of St. Anna (2nd class, but without a star that accompanied this class), Prussian Pour le Merite (which suggests he served in 1813-1814 campaigns), Order of St. George (4th class), Order of St. Vladimir (4th class, without swords but with a bow which indicated military exploits), two medals (too abstract but most probably for 1812 and 1814 Campaigns), and a small sign for XX years of service.

I am afraid it will be difficult to find out his name without any additional details.For example, are there inscriptions on the portrait? What is the portrait's provenance?

With best wishes,

Alexander Mikaberidze, Ph.D., INFR

Is their a list for those who received the Prussian Pour le Merite (which suggests he served in 1813-1814 campaigns)????

thanks,

barry

Hello Bear,

Bill Hammelmmann’s excellent three volume publication “The History of the Prussian Pour le Merite Order” lists all recipients

(regardless of nationality), by award date, from 1740 through 1918. In many cases, additional information is provided as well.

Best wishes,

Wild Card