News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Opinions on rank request

Brian Wolfe

Hello Everyone,

I recently received a British War Medal 1939 - 45 with the following naming,

6 CK BIR SINGH, 1 PUNJAB R.

I liked several things about this medal, the 1st Punjab Regiment, the low regimental number of 6 and what I thought was CK for Cook. At first when I looked at the medal the CK looked like GK but under brighter lights and magnification I believe it to be CK, though I have not ruled out GK. This will depend on whether there is a rank such as GK in the British Indian Army.

The photo also makes this look like GK, is there a rank such as GK? If not then do you think this would be for a Cook? I have another BWM 39-45 coming that is impressed to a "COOK" with the word spelled out in full but it is to a different regiment.

Why would I want medals to cooks? Because they could arguably be the most important people in the army. :D

Thanks for any assistance you can give me.

Regards

Brian

Edited by Brian Wolfe

Hello Everyone,

I recently received a British War Medal 1939 - 45 with the following naming,

6 CK BIR SINGH, 1 PUNJAB R.

I liked several things about this medal, the 1st Punjab Regiment, the low regimental number of 6 and what I thought was CK for Cook.

Brian

I think the cooks have it. My recollection of obscure ranks is not what it once was but the only other one that comes to mind is "Chowkidar" (watchman) and I'm sure it was obsolete by the period of this medal. Single digit serial numbers are always cool though. I once owned a group to a Rissaldar Majro of Punjab cavalry - 1890-1918 - and his father, also an RM had regmtl no. 1 ! And, yes, besides RSMs, cooks and batmen make the army work!

Peter

Edited by peter monahan

Hi Brain,

I dont know if this helps but i also have a medal with Ck who was also in the Punjab reg and i was told it was a clerk.

cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

An expert on Indian ranks, both pre and post independence, on another forum has told me CK is cook.

Clerk wuld be CLK.

Looks like between us it's one for one regarding clerk or cook.

When it comes to India it seems nothing is simple. :speechless:

Regards

Brian