News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Attestation of Character -- 1887

Chuck In Oregon

OK, what I think this is, is an Attestation of Good Character of Staff Warrant Officer Geracim Ocipovski. It is by his company commander, Captain Zaitsev, in respect of excellent service on the occasion of Ocipovski's discharge, August 22, 1887.

What you see is half of a large sheet of very heavy paper, almost like modern construction paper, considering that it is 118 years old. The rest is blank. It was folded several times before it was sealed with the sealing wax you see. The document is nearly 14" tall.

This is all according to my notes of a conversation and an oral translation. Even modern Russian cursive is difficult for me to read and Old Russian is nearly impossible.

Chuck

Edited by Chuck In Oregon

Guest Rick Research

I've got a xerox of a tsarist officer's personnel folder that a friend in Australia sent me decades ago, and it is HUGE format as well. Every single day of leave, all service, awards, etc... right into White service and exile in France. (His infant son was "presented" to the Regiment-in-exile there, and so on.)

This is very neat handwriting but I'm flustered by the extra characters in Old Church Slavonic that don't exist in modern Russian.

It is indeed an Attestation of character and good service for Feldfebel Gerasim Mikhailovich Osipovsky from the commander of the 1st Company, 4th Rifles Battalion, Captain Zaitsev, dated at the city of Kutno, August 22, 1887.