News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

An Urgent Request for Help on an EK1 Mark

Hello Imperialists,

I'm not a terribly regular poster here, but I really need some help on this one...

I have an unmarked 1914 EK1 that I believe holds the key to a large-ish research project I am trying to put together. I never thought I'd find one marked, as the numerous examples I've seen in both classes are all unmarked. For my birthday a few days ago my lovely girlfriend got me a copy of the Revised Edition of The Iron Time by Stephen Previtera, and to my immense surprise the book contains some photos of this cross with what appears to be a makers' designation. Needless to say I fell out of my chair when I saw it. However, I can't decipher it :banger: It is driving me nuts. It seems so close, yet so far...

I am posting an excerpt from the book with Mr. Previtera's permission. The cross is pictured below. I have blown up two sections which show the mark. I don't think anyone can make this out in the scan, but who knows? Clearly seen is some engraving, and the silver content mark '925'. What I want to read is below the '925,' just above the name "Heinz."

What I really hope is that those of you who own this book could open it up to p. 238 and have a look for me and tell me if you can read it, or if you have any ideas. Your help is enormously appreciated!

IronTime14EK1-CUs.jpg

By the way, I have asked Stephen Previtera, but he does not have this cross in-hand, and doesn't quite remember who does. If the owner of this cross is reading, I would be in hugely grateful if you could read this makers' mark (if that's what it is) for me.

Let me also say, to those of you who either own the First Edition of The Iron Time, or who don't own it at all, that the Revised Ed. is a simply spectacular update, really an entirely new book. Especially the 1870 and 1914 sections, which seem in many places brand new. I can't believe I lived for 10 years with the First Edition, thinking they were substantially the same. This is an absolute must-have in any collector's library, in my view.

My very sincere thanks for any help,

Trevor

I cannot read the writing - need better scans.

Heinz is a common first name in Germany, but it would be unusual to have the first name inscribed.

September 20, 1914 (if I read it right) is an early date to have received an EK I. The man must have been awarded the second class before.

I found a Leutnant Heinz that received the Iron Cross second class in August 1914.

Now two big IFs - If the name on the back is indeed the last name and If Leutnant Karl Heinz was awarded the Iron Cross first class - It could be him.

Leutnant d.R. Karl Heinz, Regimental Adjutant in the Royal Bavarian 2nd Landwehr Infanterie Regiment. In civilian life a forestry clerk

Edited by Naxos

I cannot read the writing - need better scans.

Heinz is a common first name in Germany, but it would be unusual to have the first name inscribed.

September 20, 1914 (if I read it right) is an early date to have received an EK I. The man must have been awarded the second class before.

I found a Leutnant Heinz that received the Iron Cross second class in August 1914.

Now two big IFs - If the name on the back is indeed the last name and If Leutnant Karl Heinz was awarded the Iron Cross first class - It could be him.

Leutnant d.R. Karl Heinz, Regimental Adjutant in the Royal Bavarian 2nd Landwehr Infanterie Regiment. In civilian life a forestry clerk

Thank you, Naxos,

I am not actually looking for any information on the awardee, but on the maker of the cross itself, which is stamped into the reverse just above the name "Heinz." If you own the book, perhaps you could have a look? The writing is a bit clearer there.

Thanks again,

Trevor

Edited by Streptile

Hi Eric,

Yes, the scans aren't the best. As I wrote in the first post:

I don't think anyone can make this out in the scan... What I really hope is that those of you who own this book could open it up to p. 238 and have a look for me and tell me if you can read it, or if you have any ideas. Your help is enormously appreciated!

What is it about the '9' that provides a possible clue? It looks distinctive to you? I really appreciate any ideas you may have on this one.

I don't think that is the makers name - it appears to be an inscription in latin. Perhaps a motto.

Naxos,

I'm not so sure it's part of the custom engraving. It looks rather like part of the same stamp as the '925,' or at least stamped at the same time. It's not in script, but in very small BLOCK CAPITALS. I think it may possibly take the owner of this actual cross coming forward, as even in the book it's tough to make out. However, I was hoping that someone with a thorough knowledge of Imperial EK makers might recognize enough letters to make an educated guess. For example, I believe I can see the following letters fairly clearly in the photo:

_ _ ANS_ _ _ (space) CO _ _ _

But I just don't know enough about the makers to say.

Thank you for looking in; you may be able to tell that I am very anxious to figure this one out.

Trevor

Edited by Streptile