News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

South Africa ribbon bars

Hi,

I think my Global ribbon bars collection start taking some shape slowely already. Here is some ribbon bars what arrived today.

Any help to "read" them and comments would be more then welcome!

No. 1 Ribbon bar with;

- The British War Medal

- The World War I Victory Medal

- The Africa Service Medal

Because the bar is missing campaign awards, then it will shows that the owner never left from S.A.?

No. 2 bar;

- The Queen's South Africa Medal

- The 1914 Star/The 1914-1915 Star

Am I right if I think this way - this bar was made around 1918-1919 September, because it is missing Victory Medal and British War Medal?

No. 3 ribbon bar with;

- The Cape of Good Hope General Service Medal, 1880-1897 (Only 5252 of these medals were awarded)

- The Queen's South Africa Medal 1899-1902

- The King's South Africa Medal 1901-1902

One of my favorite!jumping.gif

Edited by Noor

No. 4 Ribbon bar with;

- The Natal Native Rebellion Medal, 1907 (A total of 9622 medals was awarded)

- The British War Medal

- The World War I Victory Medal

No. 6 ribbon bar;

S.A. Police ribbon bar probably from 1960/70.

- Police Medal for Combating Terrorism (1974-??)

- 75th Anniversary Medal

- Police Star for Faithful Service

- Police Medal for Faithful Service

Did I got those awards right and what the claps indicate on the first ribbon?

No. 3 ribbon bar with;

- The Cape of Good Hope General Service Medal, 1880-1897 (Only 5252 of these medals were awarded)

- The Queen's South Africa Medal 1899-1902

- The King's South Africa Medal 1901-1902

One of my favorite!jumping.gif

Some great bars Noor!

The cape of good Hope bar is a beauty!

Dan

Nice ribbon bars. Thanks for sharing them with us.

No. 2 bar;

- The Queen's South Africa Medal

Am I right if I think this way - this bar was made around 1918-1919 September, because it is missing Victory Medal and British War Medal?

That's one possibility. Or the chap may have had so many medals that he needed two bars for his ribbons, and this is only the upper bar.

Lets move on to the WW2 period.... something plasticcheeky.gif

- The 1939–45 Star

- The Africa Star

- The Africa Service Medal

- The Efficiency Medal with the oak leaf for mentioned in dispatches

This group's a bit odd. If the chap earned the campaign stars and the ASM he ought to have had the War Medal 1939-45 too. And that's where the MiD emblem should be - not on the Efficiency Medal ribbon.

No. 6 ribbon bar;

S.A. Police ribbon bar probably from 1960/70.

- Police Medal for Combating Terrorism (1974-??)

- 75th Anniversary Medal

- Police Star for Faithful Service

- Police Medal for Faithful Service

Did I got those awards right and what the claps indicate on the first ribbon?

You got the awards absolutely correct. The clasps on the first ribbon indicate that the policeman concerned completed two additional periods of qualifying operational service after earning the medal. The 75th Anniversary Medal was issued in 1988, so he was evidently still serving then.

Good comment Arthur, however, they don't usually separate the trio. We see quite a few with just the Star from SWA. Many of the men were discharged after the campaign finished and then paid for themselves to get to UK and joined-up again. Dedication epitomised.

This group's a bit odd. If the chap earned the campaign stars and the ASM he ought to have had the War Medal 1939-45 too. And that's where the MiD emblem should be - not on the Efficiency Medal ribbon.

It isn't uncommon to find bars lacking the War Medal ribbon, as it was authorized later than the Stars. Many men would have been demobilized before they had a chance to put it up. It also explains why the MiD is on the Efficiency (although I believe the Regulations called for it to be attached to the tunic).

Edited by Michael Johnson

Oh, looks like I got nice piece for my South African display to add next to this Police bar... random find from the market in Dublin;

South Africa Police 75th Anniversary Medal, awarded to 160685R S SERS K.ANANDAL

Thanks Mervyn, looks like some awards have wings and they love to travel!cheers.gif I know few pieces what had been almost all over the world2014.gif .

And now the sad part... I went back today after work and it's look like this guy don't have a clue what he is doing!

Today I got SAME GUY Police Medal for Faithful Service!!!!!!! I double checked and looks like there isn't any other awards from this (broken) group (left) now or it just was two medal group. Anyway, those two medals will be stay together!

Text on the rim: A160685R S SERS K. ANANDLAL 1985 07 12 (yes, name is Anandlal instead Anandal - my mistake yesterday!)

I know there had been many groups splited and sold piece by piece and actually not because the profit (oh, he knows to ask money for set of two common awards even!cheeky.gif ), just because lack of experience.

But when I got the first medal, I remembered that there was something else as well what I wasn't sure where it from... so, I was thinking that it can be South African medal as well. Now, because this country awards are not .... khm khm...the common ones in Dublin, then there must be some chance that they are actually arrived to the dealer together and can be the set. When I went back, in first place I didn't saw any info on the reverse and FINALLY found the same name on the rim! Happy enagh because actually text on it is pretty small and also medal is thin. I really hope there wasn't anything else on the set what was sold already!