News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Uniform identification details - for your opinions

Donald

This real photo postcard portrait is embossed with a Wien photographers imprint in the lower right corner and there is no writing on the reverse side. I've had this photo in the collection for over thirty years and wonder what details you may be able to share concerning the uniform, insignias and awards.

• 2 weeks later...

can you make some more detailed scans of the medals and the cap badges?

The medals are predominantly A-H and so are the cap badges - the uniform throws me a bit - the buttons remind me of the Czech Legion - but the tabs are "Austrian"?? - but some close ups of the medals and badges may help

I can make out the majority of the medals being worn and they are definately Austro-Hungarian. However, notice that he is not wearing either an FJI or a K cockade on his cap, but something entirely different. My guess is the 'uniform' is something put together to wear to a reunion/post war get together.

He appears to be wearing two badges on his right breast pocket - one larger than the other. Also notice what appears to be some sort of edelwiess badge on his left breast pocket.

The kappenabzeichen (cap badges) are nothing that I recognise and may well be post war reunion badges.

All this is of course best guess and I stand to be corrected.

regards,

Ian

I think this is a uniform worn by a member of a veterans organization in Austria in the 1920s early 1930s. The small badge on his left side shaped like an Edelweis with a helmet in the centre looks like the commemorative festival badge for the 10.RFST (Reichsfrontsoldatentag) held in Hamburg, Germany in 1929. This was the annual meeting of the Stahlhelmbund for 1929. Those who attended this meeting were required to buy the RFST badge. The badges on his cap are probably a mixture of cap badges from WWI and veterans meetings following the war. The collar tabs resemble those worn during the Austrian First Republic.

I want to add that the collar tabs also resemble those worn on great coats in the Austro-Hungarian army.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig