News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mysterious Swedish Army Insignia With A Dr. Who Connection

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

These have just come by with the Traveling Museum :cheers: and while SOME are generally sort of branch guessable (cavalry, infantry, Stockholm something or other)... probably date from post-WW2?

The only one I can narrow down a date for is this one from the Tom Baker era:

The last member of my family in the Swedish army was chucked out of the dragoons in 1870 for drunk-on-duty, so haven't a CLUE about these.

All help on specific identifications and time period these were worn would be most appreciated!

The last member of my family in the Swedish army was chucked out of the dragoons in 1870 for drunk-on-duty, so haven't a CLUE about these.

Ahhh... yes... Scandanavian soldiers/Winter depression and booze...

I spent a cold, cold winter in Bosnia With Swedes and Norweigians... never a lack of booze... For a few months I to was walking around with balls of Snus compacted between my gums and lips... learned how to drink and even smoke without removing the chewing tabacco... on occasion even to eat with it in...

On one drunken night a Scndanavin officer taught me the condom trick...

I imagine they have badges for boozing in Scandanavia... :cheers:

OK, I give in. What is the condom trick ?

Wearing one on your head? - put one over your head, roll it down to cover your nose, breath in through the mouth, out through the nose.

Wearing a condom that way is actually still a form of contracepton, because women look at you & automatically conclude that you should'nt be allowed to breed.

Wearing one on your head? - put one over your head, roll it down to cover your nose, breath in through the mouth, out through the nose.

No no! That is Gross!

I meant the one when you unroll it... stick the tip in your nose, breath it in and through your nasal passage... then reach to the back of your throat and pull it out your mouth....

These have just come by with the Traveling Museum cheers.gif and while SOME are generally sort of branch guessable (cavalry, infantry, Stockholm something or other)... probably date from post-WW2?

The only one I can narrow down a date for is this one from the Tom Baker era:

All help on specific identifications and time period these were worn would be most appreciated!

From left: Cavalry m/39. Logistics m/39. Infantry m/39. Coast Artillery m/42. Armoured troops m/39. Stockholm HQ Coy m/52 (?). Royal Guards (King Gustaf V) m/39. Home Guard m/40-

No no! That is Gross!

I meant the one when you unroll it... stick the tip in your nose, breath it in and through your nasal passage... then reach to the back of your throat and pull it out your mouth....

Ah, the Brits do that with gold neckchans rather than condoms......still a damned good contraceptive.

The Stockholms Stabskompani (Stockholm HQ Coy) I do not remember if it was organized in 1951 or 1952. Disbanded 1974. The insignia in your collection seems to be in bronze and belongs to the m/39 field service dress. The 1952 walking out dress had the m/39 insignia in gold.

The Royal Crest (Gustaf V) m/39 was worn by Svea livgarde (I 1), Göta livgarde (I 2, disbanded 1/10 1939) and Livregementet till häst (K 1). In 1944 Göta pansarlivgarde (tank unit) replaced the disbanded I 2 and adopted the insignia. The King died in 1950 and the crest was changed to Gustaf VI Adolf:s.

The tank symbol of the armoured troops was in the m/60 system replaced by by an armoured arm holding a sword. The old m/39 tank symbol (in m/52 gold) was retained on the shoulder straps of Pansarskjutskolan (PS), armour combat school.

Guest Rick Research

Thanks very much! The most recent photos I have of family back in Sweden are with those silly 3 cornered 1700s style hats worn around World War One. :cheers:

Thanks very much! The most recent photos I have of family back in Sweden are with those silly 3 cornered 1700s style hats worn around World War One. cheers.gif

Ah, the light gray-blue m/10 uniform. The hats were introduced in 1903 on an experimental scale inspired by the Boer War but also Charles XII 18th century uniforms. The fm/03 uniform (fm = experimental model) was only used by one regiment, the new formed Positionsartilleriregementet (A 9) in Stockholm. This was followed by the m/06 which became m/10. The only defference between these two models are the rank badges.

The m/10 was not totally replaced by the grey-brown m/23. The m/23 was only issued to first line troops and was stored. The m/10 should be used unitil it was worn out. The second line troops only had m/10.

The m/10 uniform and the silly hats were still used in the beginning of WW 2. During 1940 these uniforms were replaced by the new grey-green m/39 which was used as field uniform for many years. Replaced by m/58 in the mid 1960-ies. The m/39 uniforms were altered to m/39-58.

The walking out uniformm/52 was also altered to field uniform m/52-58.

The m/39 insignia you have showed above were used also with the m/58, m/39-58, m/52-58 and m/59 field uniforms in bronze metal. Around 1965 these insignias were replaced by embrodied insignia based on the m/60 uniform system.

• 4 months later...

Ahhh... yes... Scandanavian soldiers/Winter depression and booze...

I spent a cold, cold winter in Bosnia With Swedes and Norweigians... never a lack of booze... For a few months I to was walking around with balls of Snus compacted between my gums and lips... learned how to drink and even smoke without removing the chewing tabacco... on occasion even to eat with it in...

Snus.. A little bit of heaven left on earth.

• 2 weeks later...