News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iron Cross recipient

Hi,

I`ve just purchased an interesting Iron Cross 1st class and silver cup awarded to the same man.

The Iron cross has the following inscrpition engraved on the rear of the award

SCHULZ-DORNBURG

AUS DER HAND KAISER WILHELM II

FLANDERSCHLACHT 25/8/17

I realise this was awarded during 3rd Ypres by the Kaiser himself, but is there any way of tracing the recipient of this award and his unit? I would love to be able to trace this man across his time in the Great War

The cup again bears the mans name in signature form with a small EK1 soldered to it.

Any advice as to where to start in tracing this man,I would be grateful.I`ve traced British and French soldiers, but am lost with German troops

Thanks

Jim

Guest Rick Research

CAVEAT! :shame:

Sight unseen, any research consequent here in NO way "authenticates" something which none of us SEE.

That understood...

All is Not Lost. :catjava:

There appears to have only been one Schulz-Dornburg, a Leutnant der Reserve whose Hohenzollern House Order 3rd Class with Swords (HOH3X) was officially gazetted 19.07.18 (civil) and 20.08.18 (military).

He appears to have survived the war.

More than this, at the moment, involves rummaging around in the Militär-Wochenblätter for mentions of actual unit commissioned in. Only have that for 1915 and part of 1916 and THAT thanks solely to the monumental work of indexing and transcription being done by Glenn.

Back later--can't do that whilst online.

Guest Rick Research

Let me go offline and check the MWBs (piled in a heap on the floor behind me but cannot access index while online)! Hasty, hasty! :whistle:

Guest Rick Research

Oh ye weak in faith in the Collective! For what are "miracles" but hard work done and stored up for the asking? :whistle:

Militär Wochenblatt 4 February 1915, Column 575--

He is not listed in the Ehrenmal as a fatality.

Not an army or Luftwaffe (E) officer. Not listed in the 1935 "Wer Ist's?"

Thos who are wise in the ways of google may yet find him among the prominenti of Cologne.

Merry Christmas.

Guest Rick Research

Foot artillery units are notoriously hard to track since they were generally sector troops not shown in divisional orders of battle.

From casualties among regular officers in peacetime Fußa 9 serving in Res Fußa 9, Schulz-Dornburg's unit was around

Menin(November 1914)

Bertincourt (1 October 1916)

Missy (June 1918)

though some part of them (the problem with these "detachable" units) was in Rumania in 1916 acording to Schlachten und Gefechte.

but I'm a individual finder, not a units guy.

Google the family in Cologne and see what pops up.

I thought I'd see if I could help any and tried googling Schulz-Dornburg. There were so many pages I finally gave up. Most of the entries were either on an Ursala Schulz-Dornburg who apparantly is a very famous photographer, a Michael Schulz-Dornburg, a German child actor who only made one movie in 1937 and died on the Russian front in WW2, an architecht named Julia Schulz-Dornburg, and a Rudolf Schulz-Dornburg who was an orchestra conductor who died in 1949.