News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

It seems OK to me. The date of Schmidt's EK2 document would suggest Warsaw to some people but it was probably awarded for earlier combat action around the time he earned the Wound Badge in Black, when SS-Jäger-Btl 500 was under the administrative command of 292. Infanterie-Division, which was part of Armee Gruppe Mitte from June 1941 to January 1945.

A quick bit of research shows the divisional commander from 30.6.1944 to 1.9.1944 to have been Generalmajor Johannes Gittner. I am not familiar with Gittner's signature but the signature on the document must be his. Gittner was awarded the DKiG in September 1944.

SS-Jäger-Btl 500 was engaged in security and anti-partisan operations behind the German lines during its time with 292. ID. The first Wound Badge in Black bears the Feldpost Nr stamp of the SS-Truppenübungsplatze Moorlager, which was the unit depot of SS-Jäger-Btl 500, and is signed by SS-Oberführer Viktor Knapp, who was in command there at the time.

Schmidt's second Wound Badge in Black is an interesting anomaly. It is not the first time I have seen double awards in German document groups. I would say that this award was certainly for Warsaw, where SS-Jäger-Btl 500 also fought. The hospital to which he was evacuated was in the East Prussian town of Braunsberg, now known in Polish as Braniewo.

SS-Jäger-Btl 500 was disbanded in October 1944, the survivors being sent to SS-Panzergrenadier-Ausbildungs und Ersatz Btl 35, which was the depot of the SS-Jagdverbände and SS-Fallschirmjäger-Btl 500 and 600.

As I said, at first glance, it all looks OK and Schmidt seems to have survived the war as the little holes in the documents suggest.

PK

Edited by PKeating