News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Interesting new photo find + questions

Hello Gentlemen, a happy new Year to all of You.

Let me show you my latest photo find, a group of about 40 photos that I bought for low money on a little postcards, stamps & coins show here in bavaria today.

The reason why I post them here and not in the Photo Collectors corner, is that there are coming up some questions with them.

The group belonged to a german woman ( probably her name was Maria Paetz, cause this name is more often to find on the back ) who had something to do with administration in the Ukraine, maybe she was an interpreter ?

Some photos show russian women in the POA, female volonteers, to that day I didn't even know that they existed.

Let's see some photos:

The girl with the white vest is Oberleutnant Wera Charitonowa, a parachutist as well.

Yet another photo of her

the interesting capture on the back ---

" Wollte sie in die Wälder ? " -- " Did she wanted to go in the woods ? "

Should this be the presumption of an escape ??

This one I believe is Maria Paetz, note the gun she is wearing, but which probably belonged to the car driver and she only kept it from him, while he was repairing the car. But why not keep it in the car ? Was it not safe ?

On the last photo Maria held some newspapers, which she is now distributing to russian workers, photo is captured " 1.5.43 Maifeier Roslawl "

4.)

Probably still the same day

Frontführer Lamprecht, im O.T.-Lager München, Roslawl 1943

Was Frontführer a rank in the Organisation Todt ?? However his uniform does not look like OT-uniforms, note the collar rank insignia

6.)

and some more women, this time in camo-suits

Note the woman at the left, I believe it is the same person as in the photos before, the one with the POA badge.

This photo has a caption on the back

Wildente was the magazine for the Kriegsberichter - the war correspondents.

This photo probably was published in the magazine No. 2, page 14

Does any of the members has this magazine ?

If so, in which context was the photo published ?

10.)

There are more photos, but I have shown the most interesting ones and those which bring up some question.

However, there is one photo in that group which does not fit.

I believe the person in the middle with the swastika armband is Maria Paetz again

I wonder if these soldiers are POW's and Maria was a guard ??

As we know that the swastika armband was not worn in enemy territories, this photo could be taken "home"

And for the final comment:

ANY info is highly appreciated, as always !!!

Kind regards

Robert

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: These are astonishing, Robert. :jumping::jumping::jumping:

Generalmajor (01.03.43) August Spengler (1888-1949) was Commandant of Roslawl in 1943. I don't have anything (from Keilig) after that but he died of natural and not Soviet causes.

Generalmajor "Pavell" must be Bronislaw Pawel, who despite his Slavic names was a career German officer, born 1890 and hanged at Riga in 1946. GenMaj 01.09.42, Chief of Prisoners of War in Wehrmacht Bef.(ehlbereich?) Ostland 01.11.42, Commander of Oberfeldkommandantur 392 (wherever that was) 01.12.42, Commander of Körruck 559 17.04.43-05.03.44 then ended up in the Baltic, German Cross in Gold holder.

I don't know which is which since one's in an overcoat and the awards on the other aren't clear. Spengler was career army, while Pawel went into the Weimar era Polizei so I don't know his awards.

The fellows in post #16 appear to be wearing some version of a German Panzer tunic with what may be NSKK caps. No visible rank insignia suggests maybe more Eastern Volunteers.

What a life story there must have been behind these.

FEMALE ROA I think makes photographic history here today. :cheers:

Guest Rick Research

PS If you could please zoom in on the General's ribbon bar, I think that will be Spengler (EK2 1914,HOH3X,KVK2X 1939,HH,HKX, WM 25, WM 12) since he is wearing a 1914 EK1 with NO other WW2 award there and a 1918 Wound Badge.

In the photo of the 'broken down' car, the woman holding the rifle is probably there because the driver/soldier is being cautious and keeping it near to hand in case of need. I suspect the caption - "Does she want to go in the woods" - means that the young lady needs a toilet. Not very polite but the first thing that occurred to me when I saw the photo! :whistle: (I have been on many long long car rides and woods are very useful if no other toilet is available.)

A really interesting group of photos. I hope you will update this post as you find out more about the lady.

Peter

Edited by peter monahan

Kevin - sharp eyes - congratulations ! :cheers:

Yes, most of the photos with the camo clothes have this stamp on the back:

Probably the photos were stapled when the ink of the stamp wasn't dry enough, so the stamp appears on the front of this photo.

Rick - thanks a lot for the infos about the generals. Spengler makes total sense as the photo was taken at Roslawl. Bingo.

Pawel is interesting, at the time the photo was taken, he was commander of Körruck 559 - what's that ?

Here's a closer scan of the General supposed to be Spengler:

I need to be a bit more precise on the Wildente, my comment was misleading.

The magazine "Wildente" was published after the war, started in 1952, published by Günther Heysing. It was a commemorative magazine about Propaganda troops and war correspondents. These magazines are rare and hard to get, they appeared in a very small number.

I will have to do more research on this magazine, cause I am sure that the context in which the photo was published, will bring more light into the story.

Guest Rick Research

Robert-- that is definitely Spengler from his awards. Imagine a General in 1943 only 55 and all he had was a KVK2X!!!!

While I do not know what Pawel's awards were, we DO know that he did NOT have a HOH3X.

I have no idea where Korrück 559 was, but the Corps Rear commands were Etappen outfits charged with security behind the front lines, patrolling roads and railways, and so on.

Edited by Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: These are astonishing, Robert. :jumping::jumping::jumping:

Generalmajor (01.03.43) August Spengler (1888-1949) was Commandant of Roslawl in 1943. I don't have anything (from Keilig) after that but he died of natural and not Soviet causes.

Generalmajor "Pavell" must be Bronislaw Pawel, who despite his Slavic names was a career German officer, born 1890 and hanged at Riga in 1946. GenMaj 01.09.42, Chief of Prisoners of War in Wehrmacht Bef.(ehlbereich?) Ostland 01.11.42, Commander of Oberfeldkommandantur 392 (wherever that was) 01.12.42, Commander of Körruck 559 17.04.43-05.03.44 then ended up in the Baltic, German Cross in Gold holder.

Lexicon der Wehrmacht lists the following:

"....Die Oberfeldkommandantur 392 (OFK 392) wurde im Mai 1942 aufgestellt. Der Stab wurde für Minsk in Weißrussland aufgestellt. Der Stab wurde nach der Aufstellung dem Wehrmachtbefehlshaber Ostland unterstellt. Der Stab wurde 1942 in Kommandant des Sicherungs-Gebietes Weißruthenien umbenannt. Ab 1943 unterstand der Stab dem Wehrmachtbefehlshaber Weißruthenien. Am 20. November 1943 wurde der Stab in Wehrmachts-Ortskommandantur Minsk umbenannt. 1944 wurde der Stab aufgelöst....."

Google translation:

The Commander-headquarters 392 (OFK 392) was established in May 1942. The staff has been established for Minsk in Belarus. The rod was placed following the establishment of the armed forces commanders Ostland. The staff was renamed in 1942 in command of the backup area Belorussia. From 1943, the staff was under the army commander Belorussia. On 20 November 1943 was renamed the Wehrmacht garrison headquarters staff in Minsk. In 1944, the crew was disbanded.

It also lists the following CO's

Generalmajor Hermann Harttmann 24. August 1943 - 8. November 1943

Generalleutnant Wilhelm von Altrock 8. November 1943 - 31. Januar 1944

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gliederungen/Kommandantur/OFK392-R.htm