News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Officer from 1.Baden Leib-Grenadier-Rgt.109

Hello all,

here is a picture I got today from an officer of 1.Baden Leib-Grenadier Regiment 109 - you can clearly see the 109 on the shoulderboard. He is wearing the iron cross 1.class and a 3-place ribbon bar.... now the thing gets a bit fuzzy.... N°1 on the ribbon bar should be the iron cross 2.class even if the stripes are a bit small , but he has the first class - he must have had the second too..... he is from a Baden Regiment and a officer so N°2 with the Baden colours yellow-red-yellow should be the Militärischer Karl-Friedrich Verdienstorden , rare enough , BUT ......... I have never seen a miniature device for that one during the war on a ribbon bar !!!! N°3 with the wide swords maybe a Baden Zähringer Löwe but not good to see....

now it`s your part....... any comments are welcome !!! SASCHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!! :catjava:

if you need any more details please let me know...

thank you

Heiko

Guest Rick Research

BUT-- This Oberleutnant was FROM Leib 109 from his Litzen and so he'd been transferred over to RIR 109.

I have NEVER seen such a "cross" (?!) looking device either. If he was only a Leutnant, I'd suspect an unauthorized BZ4 device.

Well, I'm back from the Rolls and this is who I come up with as suspects:

Most likely would seem to be Oberleutnant (Hauptmann iG aD—was in Finland 1918) Hans Ulrich von Kotze

These other guys in or from Leib 109 MIGHT have made Oberleutnant/ Oberleutnant dR/ Oberleutnant dL in 1918 but I very much doubt it…..

Lt dR Julius Ficht (1891-1938)

Lt dR Hermann Gutmann (1893-)

Lt dL Albert Jenne (who WAS in RIR 109)

Lt dR Eugen Markwitz (HOH3X in July 1918)

Lt dL Alois Scheu (HOH3X October 1918)

It could definitely NOT have been—because known to be too young

Lt dR Karl Ens (1896- : HOH3X July 1918, RKEK in WW2….)

or

Lt dR Maihold Zenker (1895-)

There was nobody else from or in “109” with BOTH a BV3 and BZ3bX.

You’d have to get in and look at their actual Kriegsranglistenauszüge to see about assignments every day to see IF any of them but Jenne EVER served outside Leib 109. By rank it “has” to be von Kotze and by highly unlikely possible late war promotion it could be Jenne, who was commissioned Lt dL 24.11.15. Haven’t had time to check the commission dates of the other reserve Leutnants.

Edited by Rick Research

Unfortunately the Offizier-Stammliste of LGR. 109 (published in 1925) does not list reserve officers. It does detail Hans Ulrich von Kotze but does not show any affiliation to R.I.R. 109 for this officer.

Regards

Glenn

Guest Rick Research

Rats. Because the guy had to have COME from LGR 109 from his Litzen, and been in RIR 109 long enough to bother with their insignia...

and there are no other LGR recipients, below Hauptmann, with BV3 and BZ3bX.

Got to be ONE of the above... and looks like as feared it will take looking at ALL their Kriegsranglistenauszüge!

Still, at least those exist and are available in Baden.

The photo has the "look" of a mid-war time frame-- not many unwounded walking around in their M1910s in 1918. None of the reserve/Landwehr Leutnants seem likely at all to have made Oberleutnant before demobilization after the war.

Here's an example of a "real" RIR 109 enlisted man-- gentleman draftee, Professor Enderle--

No Litzen for members of RIR 109 who had no affiliation with the peacetime regiment.

• 6 months later...

Hello All.

For some time now, I have been trying to find solid information about the 109th Lieb Grenadiers, particularly during the Great War time period. Most of the information I find is in German, which I have failed to master. Any information you may be able to help me with, including campaign histories, uniforms, equipment, or leads on where to find such information, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

David Cubby

Hello All.

For some time now, I have been trying to find solid information about the 109th Lieb Grenadiers, particularly during the Great War time period. Most of the information I find is in German, which I have failed to master. Any information you may be able to help me with, including campaign histories, uniforms, equipment, or leads on where to find such information, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

David Cubby

Hello and welcome David!

All my sources are in German, but if you have any specific questions - I will try to answer them.

Regards

My Great Uncle as a Leibgrenadier in 1906

Edited by Naxos

• 3 months later...

According to Kraus (Die Feldgraue Uniformierung des deutschen Heeres 1907-1918, volume 1 page 463, the 1st and 2nd battalions of R.I-R. 109 wore litzen as per the regular regiment.

Regards

Glenn

This is definitely correct from Glenn. If people are still interested in this topic, I may be able to shed some light. My great grandfather was in both 1st and 2nd Battalions of RIR 109, and he wore litzen on his collar. Originally he came from 33rd Fusilier Regiment "Graf Roon" (East Prussian) (Füsilier-Regiment Graf Roon (Ostpreuß.) Nr. 33) from 1910-1912 and then was transferred to RIR 109. RIR 109 had some pretty sharp uniforms in their Regiment. By 1918 the regiment was listed as a First Rate Regiment.

There is also another posting in the GMIC forums that showed a RIR or LG 109 Feldwebel LT with glasses that someone was asking about. I believe that I know who that it. If someone could point me in the right direction i will add the posting. In my Regiment History, there lists a Fwbl. LT who was a commander of some sort. Plus in many of the Officer photos in the book, he is there with wearing his glasses.

any Help on what forum this is?

Jason

• 2 weeks later...