News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I'm helping a friend to gather around as much as possible information about his ancestor, based on these photos that his family still has.

The name of the soldier was Josef Biermeier, and born in 1895 in Bad-Reichenhall, Bavaria. He served in WWI and was decorated with the Iron Cross 2nd Class and with the Bavarian Military Merit Cross 3rd Class with Swords and Crown. After the war he emigrated to Brazil, where he lived with his wife (alsa born in Germany) and rose a family. He passed away in 1966.

Together with his portraits, came five postcards showing casualties occurred in Fromelles in July, 1916. It made wonder if he was envolved in that fight. Was there any Bavarian unit fighting in that area in july, 1916?

I have no clue about his unit or rank (the awards' certicates are lost to time - only his weary home made medal bar survived), so any information about it would be nice.

Once more, thanks in advance.

Douglas.

Guest Rick Research

He was an infantry Unteroffizier. The numbers on his shoulder straps should reveal his regiment-- appears to be two digits, ending in a 5 on his first portrait.

Perhaps these men may be easier to read, though one appears to be infantry and the other artillery, so NOT necessarily anuything but random men having a "cheap" group portrait--

Because you know his name and he was decorated twice by Bavaria-- first a BMVK3X and then the Crown to that (from his rank) it will be possible to find those award dates from the Bavarian

Personal Nachrichten

military gazette published during the war. Somebody with access to them can find him in the index.

I last had the Bavarian PN in my paws on loan from the Library of the U.S. Congress in the mid-1970s. :(

He served in the Bavarian Reserve Infanterie Regiment 16 and the Bavarian Infanterie Regiment 2. His civil profession was baker.

Adolf Hitler also served in the RIR 16 and I guess he is on the photograph (1st from left). Very interesting!

Edited by militaria0815

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: :jumping::jumping::jumping::cheers:

That's what happenes looking at blurry shoulder straps instead of faces! :blush:

I'd say this needs to be moved over to Historic Photographs, eh? :catjava:

Edited by Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

I agree it could be Adolf.

Ancestry dot com is supposed to have Bavarian WW1 records online-- Herr Biermeier should be among the infantrymen online, so knowing more should be a matter of looking in there. Since he is standing behind Young Adolf in the group photo, as a Gefreiter but with no award ribbons, that should help date this photo from Biermeier's records.

Edited by Rick Research

PS The Chiemgau badge MIGHT have something to do with the 1919 Freikorps Chiemgau.....

Yes, the central, circular emblem with the eagle's head replicates the sleeve emblem of the Freikorps Chiemgau. It was a sub-unit of the well-known Freikorps von Epp. Led by Obergeometer Rudolf Kanzler, the unit participated in the fighting in Munich.

I have never seen this version of the emblem before. Would love to know what the reverse looks like. A "tinnie" attachment or pinback badge?

I have never seen this version of the emblem before. Would love to know what the reverse looks like. A "tinnie" attachment or pinback badge?

Firstly, Thanks a lot for all the information provided, specially the copy of his file found in the Bavarian Archives.

Can someone translete this stuff? Or, at least the units where he served? When and where he was wounded?

And here are some detailed pictures of the pin mentioned above. Any additional information is welcome!

Douglas.

Edited by Douglas Jr.

Guest Rick Research

Combining visible data from both parts of the Stammrolle pages--

Iron Cross 2nd Class 25.05.17

War Volunteer 16.08.14 in Bavarian Inf Rgt 2, to Bavarian Reserve Inf Rgt 16 01.10.14. Wounded on 31.10.14 near (Gheluvelt?) by "infantry shot" in the right upper thigh and hospitalized in Bremen to 21.11.14, with recovery leave 24.11.-07.12.14.

Assigned to Machine Gun Company of Bavarian RIR 16 28.01.15.

Promoted supernumerary Gefreiter 21.08.15

Chest cold 19.11.15 and hospital care to 11.01.16, released, but back in hospital again for upper respiratory catarrh 16.03.16. The other entries on the first segment all refer to repeated hospitalizations for chest colds throughout the war.

Promoted to permanent Unteroffizier 25.05.17

The second segment shows part of his participation in battles.

Edited by Rick Research