News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Romanian Fire Brigade

Romania's Fire Brigade was part of the military from it's inception (1842) until 2005. It was an integral part of the Internal Ministry during the Communist period (1947-1989), as was the Militia (Police), Security Troops and the Securitate. The members were known, both individually and collectively, as "Pompieri". The following are a few items in my collection.

First, the Fire Brigade badge- very similar to the Military Academy badge both in size and design, although it has a standard pin back rather than a full-closure pin back. The central emblem shows a Firefighter subduing a Turkish soldier... on 13 September 1848, the Fire Brigade in Bucharest was mobilized, in it's military role, to repel invading Turks- this also accounts for the dates on the badge... also the badge was issued in 1988; close to the end of the regime. Note the Fire Brigade emblem at the bottom- this will be repeated on the shoulderboards. I would like to thank Kevin Ryan (Kev in Deva) for helping me procure many of these items and also for his great photos of those items.

Edited by Greg Collins

Also included here with the badge is a very small image (only one I could find) of Lt. Col. (later Col.) Marian Stan of the Bucharest Fire Brigade. You can just see the badge above his right pocket. This badge is quite rare (perhaps because of the late date of issue)- I have only seen it as you see it here... in my collection and in the photo. Also, I have no idea why it was awarded- maybe as a command designation for higher ranks?

Here is an RSR (1965-1989) badge for "Leader in Guarding Against Fire"- an outstanding Firefighter. Standard pin back, bronze with enamel. Note the lack of State seal... while the RPR version of the same award did have the "red star with blue dot and RPR on it" at the top, the RSR version, as seen here, had no such designation. This pin dates from the '70's/'80's.

Finally, several shoulderboards. The ranks are, from left to right, Sergent Major (Staff Sergeant), Plutonier (Sergeant First Class), Maior (Major) and Colonel (same). Note that the Pompieri emblem on the boards (epoleti) are two-toned (gold and silver) for the enlisted (or "other") ranks and gold for officers. They are in the distinct colours for Pompieri- maroon trimmed in black.

Nearly forgot one of the most important aspects of this part of the collection- the medal. The "Struggle against Fire" (or guarding against fire) Medal (Medalia "Pentru paza contra incendiilor") was first first issued in 1955. It is the only medal purely for Firefighters. There are two versions- an RPR (1955-1965) and an RSR (1965-1989). As you can see, this is the RSR version. The only difference between the two are the initials of the State.

Hallo Greg, :beer:

Thanks for taking the time to post your items, some of which I have not seen before :cool:

I was talking to an officer of the Romanian Fire Brigade at September 09, "Day of the Fire-Brigade" in Deva, and he informed me that even up to that period, the Fire-brigade was still part of the Military Administration, but, gone were the days of the Firemen being part of the military conscripts,with camo-uniforms and being weapons trained on the Kalashnikov.

The sentry boxes on most fire stations have been discontinued as well, in the early days, post communism period, it was not unusual to see a rifle wielding sentry or simply armed with a bayonet on his belt on watch.

Today they are looking for volunteers willing to commit for "x" amount of years and there are even some private fire brigades coming into operation.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

• 4 weeks later...

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2010/post-950-126565701354.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2010/post-950-126565706307.jpg

Possibly an R.P.R. period shoulder board for the Pompieri,

located in Brasov, on Saturday 06. 02. 2010.

edged in black, but missing the Fire-brigade insignia.

kevin in Deva. :beer:

It seems to me that the one on the right might have had the pin re-glued to it.

Also it is a little bit more shiny.

If anybody could tell me why there is a little S on the piece holding the pin, I'd be grateful.

Edited by Corabia Alex

Alex,

Congratulations on such a great find! This is one of my favorite badges.

I've noticed alot of re-gluing on Romanian badges; have also seen a fair amount of medal repairs involving reattaching the top ring. My guess regarding the "S" is that this is an identification mark of the manufacturer or mint. I have no idea what it stands for and hope someone will enlighten us about it.

It seems to me that the one on the right might have had the pin re-glued to it.

Also it is a little bit more shiny.

If anybody could tell me why there is a little S on the piece holding the pin, I'd be grateful.

Hallo Alex and Greg, :beer:

It would actually have had the letters "M.S." on the pin, possible mis-strike?

M.S. are the intials of the maker of the pin I believe as oppossed to the maker of the entire badge.

M.S. pins are to be to the rear of many Romanian Communist RSR period insignia are quite commom in that respect.

Kevin,

Thanks for the info... I can see now that, based on the "tab" of the pin holder and the probable stamping methods of the day, it could well be M.S.. I'll take another look at mine shortly.

Would I be correct in assuming that Romanian medals, orders and badges were made in a government mint? By far, most of the countries I collect did have such awards made at a government mint (with very few exceptions), but then when you get to the DDR this is not the case.

• 1 month later...
    • 2 months later...

My latest Firebrigade pick-up from Cluj-Napoca:-

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_06_2010/post-950-127602563818.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_06_2010/post-950-127602568673.jpg

10 ANI F.P.C.I. / 10 YEARS F.P.C.I.

looks great along side my

20 ANI F.P.C.I. / 20 YEARS F.P.C.I.

Edited by Kev in Deva

• 2 weeks later...
    • 5 months later...

While in Brasov on the 27th November 2010 I picked up the

post-950-006687500 1291373007_thumb.jpg

5 ANI F.P.C.I.

and this other version just marked

10 ANI :speechless1:

Close-ups to follow once the camera batteries are charged.

Edited by Kev in Deva

A couple more great finds, Kevin!:beer:

Been looking for those as well- items available in the States have been the "same old, same old" for awhile now. Guess it's time to go to Brasov.:jumping:

Edited by Greg Collins