News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Some Australian and New Zealand ribbon bars

To all,

As there doesn't appear to be a lot of ribbon bars from the antipodes on the forums here are a couple of ribbon bars from Australia and New Zealand.

Descriptions and explanations will be posted with the pics.

The first of 5 ribbon bars.

A pair of:

*British War Medal 1939-45.

*Australia Service Medal 1939-45.

This pair indicates home service in Australia only and no operational service outside of Australia.

More to follow.

Regards,

Rob

A trio of:

* British War Medal 1939-45.

* Australia Service Medal 1939-45.

* Efficiency Medal.

This group indicates both pre-war reserve or territorial service as well as home service inside Australia during the war.

A group of 4:

* 1939-45 Star.

* Pacific Star.

This ribbon bar group is regularly seen and indicates an Australian serviceman who served in the Pacific theatre of war.

Group of 7:

* 1939-45 Star.

* Africa Star.

* Pacific Star.

* Defence Medal (Service in the Northern Territory of Australia, or the Middle East, east of the Suez Canal, or Malaya prior to 8 December 1941).

* United Nations Korea Service Medal 1950-54. (This could be issued for service in the area post-armistice 1953 period or if attached to the UN).

Interestingly the ribbon bar screws are actually screwed threads with triangle shaped attachments.

Edited by RobW

A nice New Zealand Navy group of 8:

* Distinguished Service Cross.

* 1939-45 Star.

* Burma Star (with silver rosette denoting Pacific bar).

* Defence Medal.

* New Zealand Service Medal 1939-45.

* Korea Medal 1950-53.

* United Nations Korea Service Medal 1950-54.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

A nice New Zealand Navy group of 8:

* Distinguished Service Cross.

* 1939-45 Star.

* Burma Star (with silver rosette denoting Pacific bar).

* Defence Medal.

* New Zealand Service Medal 1939-45.

* Korea Medal 1950-53.

* United Nations Korea Service Medal 1950-54.

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob,

Nice DSC ribbon bar group. It's interesting to note that the UN Korea Service Medal ribbon is of US manufacture - note the corded edges on the ribbon.

Jean-Paul

Hi - Rob. Very interesting to see these bars with an Aust. and NZ connection. We don't seem to see as much as we should from Aust..

The last ones with the DSC - I bet you wish you had the original set ?

Hello Mervyn,

While there is always a large amount of British items on this forum the Australian and New Zealand items are much more rarely seen. I'm not sure why. I will always try to add such pieces as I come across them to add to the commonwealth flavour.

Yes it is indeed a nice set. The original ribbons are of a markedly better weave than the current production and the rosette on the Burma star is silver, hence the nice deep toning to it. I have also seen the reduced miniature ribbons on a similar ribbon bar arrangement but was not able to obtain that piece.

I can only imagine what the original medals would sell for in todays market.

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob,

Nice DSC ribbon bar group. It's interesting to note that the UN Korea Service Medal ribbon is of US manufacture - note the corded edges on the ribbon.

Jean-Paul

Hello Jean-Paul,

I hadn't actually noticed the difference in UN ribbon and it is of a different weave than that seen on the corresponding Australian 7 group on the post above (#4). I do agree that it is indeed a fine ribbon bar. As mentioned to Mervyn the ribbon weaving is of a very fine quality and considerably much better than the replacement ribbon that is seen in the market today.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW