News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Looking to get in egypt medal collecting

khorgor

Hi everyone,

With my order of the crown collection for thailand almost finished and most other thai awards being out of my price range (or I can't simply find them...), I'm looking at egyptian ODM

I'm currently holding off buying medals until my house finance is approved and am saving up for a medal book which will get releases soon with egypt medals and their average prices.

So I wanted to ask is this a worth while section to collect? From what I have seen so far over the net that they are more widely stocked than thai awards but can get quite expensive even for the lower class medals.

Are they fairly easy to get without resorting to ebay all the time? (my whole thai collection was ebay gotten). I have seen a few on medaille and liverpool but their prices are painful to look at.

and lastly, can you give some book recommendations (yes, yes - I read the egypt thread here with the books listed by a forum goer - but I can't find them) that may help me in the mean time keep away from fakes and avoid paying too much for the awards.

anyways - I thought I would start small with this: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310208306219

not sure if it's a fake - but its cheap and would make a nice centre piece to put the medals around as I get them. Any comments on this would be appreciated.

A lot of the egyptian ODM is very high priced, you should look into collecting Syrian ODM it's cheaper.

Lorenzo

Hi Lorenzo,

thankyou for your suggestions and comments.

Yeah the hat in your photo is very nice ;-) bet its expensive!

I'll have a look at the syrian ODM and see how I go. I love the look of the egyptian ODM, but given my current financial situation, I might have to wait a while.

Greetings from Riyadh!

I detail below a list of what should be included in a Egyptian collection - I am sure I have mised a few items but at least you have an idea of what you should get. Some of this is very dificult to get hold of and as with all series of awards there are various variations and types. As for prices - not cheap. I hope this helps.

Owain

KHEDIVATE

Order of Mohammed Ali

Order of Felaha

1882 Bronze Star

1897 Sudan Medal

1911 Sudan Medal

1913 Bravery Medal

MONARCHY

The Order of Mohammed Ali

The Order of Mohammed Ali Medal for Bravery

The Order (Collar) of Fouad I

The Order of The Nile

The Order of Ismail

The Order of Al Kemal

Military Star of Fouad I

Medal for Meritorious Acts

Medal for Devotion to Duty

The Order of Agriculture

The Order of Public Instruction

The Order of Industry & Commerce

Civil Bravery Medal

1948 Palestine War Medal

Mohammed Ali Centenary Medal

Royal Guard Commemorative Medal

Prince Kamal Al Din Hussain Medal

King Fouad Bienveillance Medal

King Farouk Coronation Medal

Shooting Medal

REPUBLIC

The Order of the Nile

The Order of the Republic

The Order of Merit

The Order of Independence

The Order of Honour

The Order of Labour

The Order of Agriculture

The Order of Sport

The Order of El Kemal

Sinai Star

Star of Honour

Liberation Star (Army & Police)

Liberation Medal

Military Star

Mobilization Medal

Shooting Medal

Bravery Medal (Military & Civil)

Medal of The Republic

Distinguished Service Medal

Medal for Merit

Evacuation Medal

Military Medal of Independence

Medal for Devotion to Duty (Military & Civil)

Long Service & Good Conduct Medal

Medal of Special Promotion

Training Medal

Medal for War Wounded

Victory Medal

United Arab Republic Medal

6th October Medal

Sinai Liberation Medal

Kuwait Liberation Medal

10th Anniversary of the Revolution Medal

20th Anniversary of the Revolution Medal

Army Day Medal

Navy Day Medal

Air Force Silver Jubilee Medal

Air Force Golden Jubilee Medal

Air Defence Force Day Medal

Edited by oamotme

Khorgor,

Welcome to the very, very small world of Egyptian collecting! beer.gif

Firstly, the hat you illustrate from Ebay is absolutely NOT Egyptian -- it's British. Several British regiments have "Egypt" in their crest.

If you're looking to get into Egyptian collecting for reasons of investment, or finding lots of interesting variations and researching well-documented medals, you've chosen the wrong country. There is not much available on the market, and references are scarce. You may want to look more widely at Middle Eastern/Arab medals.

If you're interested in orders and decorations, those do show up in auctions and at dealers occasionally, but they can be pricey, as with all orders. If you're interested in medals or 20th century items, Ebay is far and away your best bet. If you are able to make inroads with dealers, or with sources in Egypt, that can be invaluable, good luck. There are a number of Egyptian medals currently on Ebay (at least the US site), most of which are "buy it now" from several dealers. You'll see that few, if any, have ribbons. This is very common with Egyptian medals. I just hope I don't wind up crossing swords with you on Ebay one day! rolleyes.gif

The best source of references is, honestly, this website. Owain Raw-Rees and myself have also written some articles in the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society of America over the past decade. Most general reference books on world ODM will have a small section on Egypt.

Because of the lack of references and small market for Egyptian medals, proceed with caution -- not necessarily because somebody may deliberately rip you off, but because very very few people know what they're talking about. I've found Egyptian medals on Ebay listed as being Indian or Pakistani or "unknown," and I've seen things listed as Egyptian that clearly are not.

Cheers,

Chris

Greetings from Riyadh!

I detail below a list of what should be included in a Egyptian collection - I am sure I have mised a few items but at least you have an idea of what you should get. Some of this is very dificult to get hold of and as with all series of awards there are various variations and types. As for prices - not cheap. I hope this helps.

Owain

KHEDIVATE

Order of Mohammed Ali

Order of Felaha

1882 Bronze Star

1897 Sudan Medal

1911 Sudan Medal

1913 Bravery Medal

MONARCHY

The Order of Mohammed Ali

The Order of Mohammed Ali Medal for Bravery

The Order (Collar) of Fouad I

The Order of The Nile

The Order of Ismail

The Order of Al Kemal

Military Star of Fouad I

Medal for Meritorious Acts

Medal for Devotion to Duty

The Order of Agriculture

Civil Bravery Medal

1948 Palestine War Medal

Mohammed Ali Centenary Medal

Royal Guard Commemorative Medal

Prince Kamal Al Din Hussain Medal

King Fouad Bienveillance Medal

King Farouk Coronation Medal

Shooting Medal

REPUBLIC

The Order of the Nile

The Order of the Republic

The Order of Merit

The Order of Independence

The Order of Honour

The Order of Labour

The Order of Agriculture

The Order of Sport

The Order of El Kemal

Sinai Star

Star of Honour

Liberation Star (Army & Police)

Liberation Medal

Military Star

Mobilization Medal

Shooting Medal

Bravery Medal (Military & Civil)

Medal of The Republic

Distinguished Service Medal

Medal for Merit

Evacuation Medal

Military Medal of Independence

Medal for Devotion to Duty (Military & Civil)

Long Service & Good Conduct Medal

Medal of Special Promotion

Training Medal

Medal for War Wounded

Victory Medal

United Arab Republic Medal

6th October Medal

Sinai Liberation Medal

Kuwait Liberation Medal

10th Anniversary of the Revolution Medal

20th Anniversary of the Revolution Medal

Army Day Medal

Navy Day Medal

Air Force Silver Jubilee Medal

Air Force Golden Jubilee Medal

Air Defence Force Day Medal

Do you have a list like this for all the Iraqi Medals???

Lorenzo

Hi Chris

Thanks for all your words.

No worries about the cap. I didn't win it anyways :-)

I'm more interested in collecting general awards that I find attractive and try to stay in that area for a while (one of the first things reccommended to me by most of the older collectors)

I'm not too worried about research and availability. If I was, I would of never gotten my thailand collection. Trust me - getting that stuff is even worse than egypt ODM!!!!

haha. yea I saw all the buy now offers on ebay. as I mentioned in my first post, I'm waiting for a release of a ODM book which will cover egypt with expected prices and what not. should be in the next month or so. So until then, I'll just do my market research through liverpool, medaille and ebay so when I'm ready to start, I know what to aim for.

and thanks. I have read most thread on here already to start off my research before this thread. So just finalising details before I start this area of collecting. I just find egypt has more of the beautiful medals compared to the other arab states and with the top classes weighing in around $1K, it's still in the budget :-)

I think the al Hashimi era had some beautiful ODM Iraq and Jordan..

I was looking at buying the Order of Renaissance, Would love to have the Wisam al Hashimi and the Al Bakr order of EL Rafidain..

But they are priceless orders..

Lorenzo

Edited by IMHF

haha. yea I saw all the buy now offers on ebay. as I mentioned in my first post, I'm waiting for a release of a ODM book which will cover egypt with expected prices and what not. should be in the next month or so.

Cat%20Scratch.gif

Book???!!! On Egyptian ODM???!!! In the next month or so???!!!

I'm VERY intrigued. Any further information? Anyone else know anything about this?

Thanks!

When you place value on something from a book it takes away from the fun of preserving it, also understand the owner is going to sale his ODM for what he wants for it not what a book says..

I bought the Kingdom wisam al Rafidain First Class military for 685Pounds in 2005.. Najaf just sold one for $5,400.00.

So who is to regulate the value of something it is on how bad the collector wants it..

Lorenzo

Edited by IMHF

Good point, Lorenzo.

With subjects like Egyptian (or many other countries) militaria, there is such a small market, that it must be hard to establish what the "value" for a piece is. Apart from some Egyptian orders, there probably are not enough sales on record to set even approximate prices.

As you say, the value is whatever somebody is willing to pay.

Chris

Hi Chris,

the book I mention is here: http://www.ormedec.com/

egypt is in part two. due out very soon

While not toally dedicated to egypt, it will be covering quite a few medals I imagine.