News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A pair WWI Austrian combatant's medals

Hello Everyone,

Still pretty new to this Imperial German Medals thing but I took a chance on this pair as they looked good to me.

I believe them to be original and both are combat service medals to an Austrian. I believe the medal to the right is Austrian so it seemed to me to make sense that the group would belong to an Austrian soldier.

I hope you like them, I certainly do.

Regards

Brian

Hello,

the mini-medal bar belonged to a Hungarian soldier.

Austrian version had a different medal:

Many thanks avadski,

I do have a lot to learn.

I have one of these in my collection and always thought it was Austrian.

Regards

Brian

Brian,

I think your medal bar is most likely to a German. The 1914-18 German Honour Cross takes precedence on this bar, not to mention the German mounting style. Germans could apply for the First World War Commemorative Medals from Austria, Hungary and Bulgaria. Not everyone was fortunate enough to be bestowed an Iron Cross or its equivalent...but these commemorative medals could be requested by those who did take part in the War. A nice pair! :cheers:

Regards

Matt

Edited by M Hunter

Brian,

I think your medal bar is most likely to a German. The 1914-18 German Honour Cross takes precedence on this bar, not to mention the German mounting style. Germans could apply for the First World War Commemorative Medals from Austria, Hungary and Bulgaria. Not everyone was fortunate enough to be bestowed an Iron Cross or its equivalent...but these commemorative medals could be requested by those who did take part in the War. A nice pair! :cheers:

Regards

Matt

Thanks Matt,

That makes perfect sense.

I'm going to post some items on the Independent India section to give you fellows, who are interested in Imperial German medals, a break from all of my questions. :lol:

Thanks again for your assistance.

Regards

Brian