News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Interesting unofficial French miniatures

RobW

To one and all,

I have recently picked up these two French mini's as part of a larger group and am intrigued by them. Inquiries with the vendor identified them only as:

* Medal of Civic Merit

* Medal of National Merit

French medals are not my area of expertise and after some other inquiries the limited information I have would suggest that both of these awards are possibly unofficial. Other than that I am bereft of detail.

Does anyone have any ideas as to the background and award details of these two interesting, possibly unofficial French awards? Any ideas or possibilities would be welcomed.

Pics to follow.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

The "Mérite Civique" medal is a semi-official award. Established in 1930 under the auspices of the French Academy, it was replaced in 1968 by the "Étoile Civique". It was established in 3 classes, yours is the lower.

It honors courage and devotion towards others, recognizing acts and behaviours that demonstrate same. The classes distinguish from the most humble to the grandest, those who contribute to the enrichment of the collective heritage, to the betterment of social life, to humanity's progress, principally aimed at those who'se life was mostly labor and self-sacrifice and that would've remained anonymous had it not been for vigilant research.

Edited by TacHel

The "Mérite Civique" medal is a semi-official award. Established in 1930 under the auspices of the French Academy, it was replaced in 1968 by the "Étoile Civique". It was established in 3 classes, yours is the lower.

It honors courage and devotion towards others, recognizing acts and behaviours that demonstrate same. The classes distinguish from the most humble to the grandest, those who contribute to the enrichment of the collective heritage, to the betterment of social life, to humanity's progress, principally aimed at those who'se life was mostly labor and self-sacrifice and that would've remained anonymous had it not been for vigilant research.

I am sorry to say I don't really agree with TacHel's description of the origin of both these attractive badges.

They are thoroughly PRIVATE "awards" and certainly not semi-official. Private groups have long existed (and still do)in France which "award" badges of this kind to whoever submits what he/she feels to be personnal achievements worth recognition.

To my knowledge the French Academy (Académie française) has no wearable awards, only table-mmedals for a limited and well known series of "prizes" (Prix de l'Académie française). Those are not truly government awards, but they are close. Whoever receives one may use the title "Lauréat de l'Académie".

The word Académie can be freely used in France, it is the same as "Association". Private groups have naturally taken such titles.

The only official ACADEMIES in France are : Académie Française, Académie des Sciences (comparable to the British Royal Society), Académie des Inscriptions & belles lettres, Académie des Beaux-Arts (comparable to the British Royal Academy) and Académie des Sciences morales et politiques.

The reunion of these five Académies is known as the "Institut de France". Members of all five Academies are recognized by the official title of "Membre de l'Institut".

I am sorry to say that such fake awards are plenty on the market. Collecting them is OK, naturally, but it has to be clearly understood for what it is.

Regards

Veteran

Edited by Veteran

Hi Veteran. I'm in no position to argue this one, I had only seen it a few times before. Every single reference I found on the Médaille or Étoile Civique confirm the dates and the acquiescence of the Académie Française. But eventhough my first language is French, I must admit at being a bit perplexed and puzzled at the exact meaning of this phrase: "...une Institution couronnée par l'Académie française". "An institution (crowned)?? by the French Academy".

Any thoughts? Ideas on the exact meaning?

Here's where the info came from, all are in French though...

1st ref 2nd ref 3rd ref 4th ref Got more...

(...) I must admit at being a bit perplexed and puzzled at the exact meaning of this phrase: "...une Institution couronnée par l'Académie française". "An institution (crowned)?? by the French Academy". (...)

Hi François,

To be franc, I don't understand what it means... without more details.

Normally this would mean the Etoile Civique Association has been awarded a Prize from the Académie Française. But, which one ? It is not said... Looks like a free assertion...

Cheers.

Ch.

Looks like a free assertion...

This was also my first impression... But it was mentioned in all of the links I found...:unsure: This led me to hesitantly (perhaps completely erroneously) call it "semi-official".

Edited by TacHel

Frank,

All the links you have posted are copying the first one, their website... So the same terminology is used again, and again, and again... Don't forget communication is repetition... :rolleyes:

This "Etoile Civique" is unofficial. I don't know an awrd being semi-official. It can be unofficial, but tolerated, ad the Medal for the wounded for example, but the medal itself is still unofficial. What is not the case of the ribbon with the red star.

Cheers.

Ch.

I don't know an award being semi-official. It can be unofficial, but tolerated, as the Medal for the wounded for example, but the medal itself is still unofficial.

That my friend, is the best, plainest, straightest definition I've heard in a long time! Your logic is irreproachable! (Sorry for the Star Trek quote).

I've just crossed out the term "semi-official" from my glossary. :cheers:

I must admit though that the term "tolerated" opens such an incredible can of worms... But heh, politics will always remain politics.

That my friend, is the best, plainest, straightest definition I've heard in a long time! Your logic is irreproachable! (Sorry for the Star Trek quote).

I've just crossed out the term "semi-official" from my glossary. :cheers:

I must admit though that the term "tolerated" opens such an incredible can of worms... But heh, politics will always remain politics.

:D :beer:

If I may add a few words to this topic, it is possible to clear a few points raized here about these badges.

I hope Christophe will agree that the French terme "toléré", quite aptly translated as "tolerated", means "unofficial-but-not-outright-illegal".

The red star "médaille des blessés" is a good exemple. It was in use for a short period, the normal wear of the red star for war wounds being a small enameled red star on the appropiate campaign medal ribbon. That is strickly enforced by military regulations.

A number of veterans wearing their full size medals have the "médaille des blessés" as a distinct badge with the original ribbon for war wounds. They are not going to be jailed for it and most officials will simply look the other way and keep their mouths shut. That is what I understand means the word "toléré".

As a WW2 veteran myself, I would not do that but I was lucky not to "qualify" for one. My own father who lost an arm in January 1916 at Verdun had one.

Coming back to the "couronné par l'Académie française" statement, this would simply mean that at one time or an other the association which "bestowes" such "awards" discussed on this post received some kind of a recognition from the Académie française. It certainly does not apply to the person who wears that type of private badge.

Basically, all this is self-promotion within an mutual-admiration-society as the song used to go.It can sound very confusing indeed !

This being said, some of these badges are quite attractive and collectable for what they are.

Best regards

Veteran

Edited by Veteran

(...)

I hope Christophe will agree that the French terme "toléré", quite aptly translated as "tolerated", means "unofficial-but-not-outright-illegal".

(...)

Hi Vétéran,

I fully agree, and with the entire content of your post as well.

Cheers.

Ch.

Coming back to the "couronné par l'Académie française" statement, this would simply mean that at one time or an other the association which "bestowes" such "awards" discussed on this post received some kind of a recognition from the Académie française. It certainly does not apply to the person who wears that type of private badge.

Basically, all this is self-promotion within an mutual-admiration-society as the song used to go. It can sound very confusing indeed !

Veteran

That is a good explanation. Merci!

Hello all,

Thanks for the great clarification about these awards. It really helps to find out about these unofficial but tolerated awards.

Regards,

Rob

Let's be clear.

The wound-star (étoile des blessés) is tolerated. At one time in the past, it was practically legal.

The type of badges shown on this post are forbidden of wear in public. They are only to be displayed in private, normally restricted to functions within the "awarding" society or at home. They have never been legal and the pretense that they are awards is precisely the reason why they should not be worn in circumstances when such confusion might arise.

Regards

Veteran

Let's be clear.

The wound-star (étoile des blessés) is tolerated. At one time in the past, it was practically legal.

The type of badges shown on this post are forbidden of wear in public. They are only to be displayed in private, normally restricted to functions within the "awarding" society or at home. They have never been legal and the pretense that they are awards is precisely the reason why they should not be worn in circumstances when such confusion might arise.

Regards

Veteran

Thanks Veteran for the clarification. :D

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Let's be clear.

I'm glad I never bothered to buy one to add to my great-uncle's Legion d'honneur (as I have added his Croix de Guerre, Victory and Commemorative medals). He was lucky to escape Verdun (Fleury-devant-Douaumont) with only

I'm glad I never bothered to buy one to add to my great-uncle's Legion d'honneur (as I have added his Croix de Guerre, Victory and Commemorative medals). He was lucky to escape Verdun (Fleury-devant-Douaumont) with only

Very fine and scarcer "citation" from a high level of command (Army Corps). Shown on the ribbon by a gilt star.

Thank you for displaying it. It certainly must be one of the prides of your family.

Regards

Veteran