News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Rick is wrestling with a mystery and is on the verge of losing. :speechless:

Would like to find some help for him.

His references leave a gap concerning the whereabouts (geographically as well as organizationally) of the 3rd Guard Field Artillery Regiment.

He seeks the assignment history of the 3rd Guard Field Artillery Regiment between 1916 & 1918.

He has them assigned to the 1st Guard Infantry Division until mid 1916 and then loses them until 1918 when they reappear assigned to the Guard Cavalry Division.

Can anyone fill the void?

Also is there a Regimental History in print?

He would love to view a picture of a Knight’s Hohenzollern recipient, Hauptmann Ernst Bodo Freiherr von Hodenberg.

Any help would be appreciated.

I don't have a copy, but I believe you can find this information in Kraus's book, "Handbuch der Verbände und Truppen des deutschen Heeres 1914-1918, Band IX Feldartillerie" printed by the Verlag Militaria. It follows the same format as does the volume on the infantry, in that it gives the associational history of the regiments during the war. It's available for purchase on the printer's website.

I have the following from von Stein's notes, (1.Gd.Felda.Br.d.2.G.I.D., 7.6.1917 Heeres-Art. b. Her.Gr.Deutscher Kronprinz u. 4.Armee, April 1918 G.K.Sch.D.)

Chip

That looks like the ticket - I assume the proper interpretation of this entry is that the whole FA Bde was assigned away from the 1st GID to the 2nd GID from 7/6/17 to 4/18 when it was again reassigned to the GKSD.

The regiment remained subordinate to this bde throughout?

Thanks Chip,

wem

I don't have a copy, but I believe you can find this information in Kraus's book, "Handbuch der Verbände und Truppen des deutschen Heeres 1914-1918, Band IX Feldartillerie" printed by the Verlag Militaria. It follows the same format as does the volume on the infantry, in that it gives the associational history of the regiments during the war. It's available for purchase on the printer's website.

I have the following from von Stein's notes, (1.Gd.Felda.Br.d.2.G.I.D., 7.6.1917 Heeres-Art. b. Her.Gr.Deutscher Kronprinz u. 4.Armee, April 1918 G.K.Sch.D.)

Chip

Edited by W McSwiggan

In March 1918, I have the Garde-Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr.3 together with Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr.236 assigned to Artillerie-Kommandeur 132 of the Garde-Kavallerie-Schützen-Division.

"Als Divisionsartillerie fungierte das 3. Garde-Feldartillerie-Regiment."

Das 3. Garde-Feldartillerie-Regiment und seine seine Geschichte

Author: Karl Rüdt von Collenberg

Berlin Verl. d. Vereins d. Offiziere d. alten 3. Garde-Feldartillerie-Regiments 1931. XI, 439 S. : graph. Darst., Kt.

Edited by Naxos

I dont know for sure, but am guessing that when the division was sent to the eastern front in mid 17 it lost the 3rd arty, and that the 3rd Arty stayed in the Champagne area as a Corps troop... knocked around as such until later being added to the the GKSD

I dont think it was in the 2 GID... the 2 GID was in the process of loosing of of its own Arty regiments....

Chris,

von Stein's notes were taken in the archives, I believe at Karlsruhe.

Chip

For those who have followed or contributed to this thread.

A friend provided the following information per Kraus:

4 May '17 to 22 April '18 the 3GAR was Heeresfeldartillerie.

The Regiment and Abteilungen were assigned, attached or supported a wide range of divisions through out this time frame.

From May '17 to March '18 the Regiment HQ and subordinate Abteilungen served with 207, 16 & 192 Infantry Divisions in sequence.

Beginning in October '17 various Abteilungen were assigned separately in support of other units for periods of time and then returned to the regiment.

Very impressive - does this make you an honorary artilleryman? Perhaps IrishGunner can shed light...

Of course if you'd been 100% correct - the prize would have been Cavalry!

I win! Although I thought they were at Korps level.

Edited by W McSwiggan

Very impressive - does this make you an honorary artilleryman? Perhaps IrishGunner can shed light...

Oh crickey....!

I did not think of that..... :banger:

Actually, I had thrown this question into the open room at a local bar and a drunken overaged whore with running makeup and smeared lipstick mumbled "maybe they were corps troops, as both 1st and 2nd guard divisions, god knows I am old enough to have serviced both, had gone to the eastern front, they probably both lost their 2nd artillery regiments, which probably became Korps troops ...."

I would never have thought of it on my own, Artillery is just not my thing..... :whistle:

Then - by all rights - she should be Artillery - not that bad a match actually...

Oh crickey....!

I did not think of that..... :banger:

Actually, I had thrown this question into the open room at a local bar and a drunken overaged whore with running makeup and smeared lipstick mumbled "maybe they were corps troops, as both 1st and 2nd guard divisions, god knows I am old enough to have serviced both, had gone to the eastern front, they probably both lost their 2nd artillery regiments, which probably became Korps troops ...."

I would never have thought of it on my own, Artillery is just not my thing..... :whistle: