News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

AZAD HIND "SHE-e-HIND" TIGER OF INDIA - GRAND STAR

The AZAD HIND (FREE INDIA) decoration was instituted by Chandra Bose in 1942 in four grades. All grades could be awarded to Indian or German members of the Legion Freies Indien of the German Army. The "SHER-e-HIND" is the highest award for this decoration. All of these decorations were made by Souval of Vienna. The production of these decorations continued after the war for awarding to those fighting to free India from British rule. Shortly after the end of British rule in India the official production of these decorations ceased. Souval continued to produce these decorations after this time but without their name and address on the reverse.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

Apparently the British occupation Red Hats took away the Stempel (reverse die) but accidentally left the obverse in the machine. The original docs and stempel are probably in the archives somewhere in London.

I have heard that Souval also remade the backing plate later and that these were sold marked Souval in the 1960s and 1970s, especially in the USA where he sold to gun/military sellers like Flayderman (Oh to see his import docs!).

I can't confirm the latter paragraph though-that's just medal show gossip.

Hello Gordon,

A very nice specimen and an interesting piece of history.

I do not believe it is generally known that there were Indian soldiers acting with the Germans to overthrow the British in India. When I say "generally known" I am discounting the historians and medal collectors among us, of course.

Thanks for posting this interesting decoration.

Regards

Brian