News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WWII Hungarian Order of Merit w/Swords

I'm trying to find some background on the medal shown below (the medal is not mine). I'm told it is the Hugarian Order of Merit with Swords. Is this correct? Was this ever awarded by Hungary to Germans during WWII? If so, are there any records of Germans it was awarded to? Does anyone have a full size medal they can post photos of the front and reverse?

I tried a search, but didn't find any info on this specific award. Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks! :cheers:

Edited by Scott

I'm trying to find some background on the medal shown below (the medal is not mine). I'm told it is the Hugarian Order of Merit with Swords. Is this correct? Was this ever awarded by Hungary to Germans during WWII? If so, are there any records of Germans it was awarded to? Does anyone have a full size medal they can post photos of the front and reverse?

I tried a search, but didn't find any info on this specific award. Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks! :cheers:

Scott - yes this is the Hungarian Order of Merit Knights Cross with Swords on a War Ribbon. It was awarded to Germans by the Hungarians primarily for actions along the Don River Front. I do not know if there are any survivign records as the Ministry of Defense was heavily bombed and burned during the Battle of Budapest. I dont readily have an image of the full size one - but they have been posted in this section before. It would be very interesting to see the rest of that bar!

Hunyadi: Thank you for the information! Unfotunately, the photo I posted is the only one I have of the bar (the photo was used to reference just that specific medal).

Peter: Thank you for posting good, sharp photos of the full-size medal.

Gents, this is just what I was looking for. Many thanks to both of you!

:cheers: