News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bronze ''Signum Laudis'' and his former owner

Amazing the set of Iver has presented; to have medal & portrait of the bearer; and even picture of his grave. Congratulations.

One of the first medals of bought as a young collector many years ago was a bronze Signum laudis in box. Medal was in nice condition, but placed in late simple cardborad box.

It took very many years until I've noticed some wording on the reverse of the box; there the name of the recipinet and unit was writen, ''Lt. Ivanetic Franz, aus Krain 17''. With the help of Shematismus of KuK Heer I've found out that leutnant Ivanetic was primaril serving in IR17, but was temporary assigned to IR87, as company commander. For me it was great that both regiments were a Slovenian ones;

But I was even more lucky to get the recomendation for his award in Military archives in Vienna, where his brave deeds are described. He was decorated in most glorious battle at Isonzo front, for famous ''miracle by Caporetto'' ofensive against Italians in October 1917. However his deeds did not bring him higher award, as his acchievemnt was that he'' with skillfull leading of his company in spite of heavy enemy's artilery and machine gun fire he had brought his company without looses'' attacked Italians at Cukli vrh on October 24. He was wounded in the action.

He was recomended for bronze MVM with swords on 25. 11. 1917 by his regimental commander. What is interesting to follow on document is the path of needed confirmation for award. According to form itself, recomendation should be confirmed/approved by brigade, division, korps and army commander.

Every of these approved decoation and put his stamp & signature on the form. It went very fast; Brigadier approved on 26.11, Divisionar on 28.11., Korps commander already on 30.11. and commander of the k.u.k. 2. Isonzo Armee finaly approved decoration on the 4.12.

Unfortunately I'm mising the picture of leutant Ivanetic; but this is a chalenge to find it....

I'm enclosing picture of Signum laudis and recomandation for decoration

I hate to bring this up - but I think the case and the Signum Laudis are a marriage. After the death of Franz Joseph in 1916 the new Emperor Karl created a new form of the Signum Laudis. Judging by the negative space in the box, the Franz Joseph style probably does not fit well as Karl form with the twin crowns would. As this award was from 1917 I just dont think the FJ style is original to this box.

I agree with Hunyadi, the box is "Emperor Karl" style, also the date on the paper - I see there december 1917, it looks like originally there was emperors Karl edition of "Signum Laudis"....

Hello Iver and Hunyadi,

of course you're right; it should be Karl's Signum Laudis in the box;

how stupid I was that over 30 years not to notify this fact. However, box still belonged to lt. Ivanetic, (but it's a small satisfaction for me; I would prefer it ''vice versa''.