News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Poland Breast Star - Real or Fantasy?

I have a Polish Breast Star that I paid handsomely for. It is definitely not too old. I have attached a low-resolution photo to this posting, but have htree high-resolution photos on PhotoBucket, by following this link:

http://s752.photobuc...0Breast%20Star/

I have several questions.

1. is it a REAL Polish Breast Star or a "fantasy" piece?

2. if yes, what is it called?

3. if yes, what is/was it awarded for (military/civil)?

4. if yes, from which era (post-WW1, communist, post-1990)?

5. if yes, what do you think it is worth?

It is 90 mm in diameter and has a small "square" hallmark on the reverse pin.

Any help you can provide would be great.

Thank you.

Linas

Hi,

The star is a genuine one. It is a star of the Decoration of Merit of the Association of Members of Polish Resistance in France (ZUPRO), whose president and also the "Grand Master" of the decoration was Colonel (later General) Antoni Zdrojewski (1900-89), who organized the Polish Organization for Fighting for Independence (POWN).

The decoration, initially in three classes, was eventually extended to five, to reflect the structure of a typical order of merit. I cannot tell you the exact year of institution, but the two upper classes appeared in ca. 1980s. The star was attached to the class of Grand Cross and Grand Commnder. The decoration, initially meant to honor merit to the Association, was later honorarily awarded to members of democratic opposition in Poland as well.

I cannot tell you the exact price of the star. Lower class crosses are ocassionally seen at auctions, with starting price of ca. 200-300 euros.

Can you upload a photo of the hallmark? It may help identify the manufacturer.

Hope this will help.

One more thing: can I add the photo of the star to my website about Polish Orders and Medals (www.medals.pl/pl), all credits given of course?

Edited by Lukasz Gaszewski

Wow Lukasz,

Great information! I will try to get a close-up photo of the hallmark.

And of course you can use this photo on your website - but only credit it to "Linas L" - OK?

Question: is there any way to determine if this Star was attached to the Grand Cross or Grand Commander?

Thanks again Lukasz.

Linas

Hi,

The star is a genuine one. It is a star of the Decoration of Merit of the Association of Members of Polish Resistance in France (ZUPRO), whose president and also the "Grand Master" of the decoration was Colonel (later General) Antoni Zdrojewski (1900-89), who organized the Polish Organization for Fighting for Independence (POWN).

The decoration, initially in three classes, was eventually extended to five, to reflect the structure of a typical order of merit. I cannot tell you the exact year of institution, but the two upper classes appeared in ca. 1980s. The star was attached to the class of Grand Cross and Grand Commnder. The decoration, initially meant to honor merit to the Association, was later honorarily awarded to members of democratic opposition in Poland as well.

I cannot tell you the exact price of the star. Lower class crosses are ocassionally seen at auctions, with starting price of ca. 200-300 euros.

Can you upload a photo of the hallmark? It may help identify the manufacturer.

Hope this will help.

One more thing: can I add the photo of the star to my website about Polish Orders and Medals (www.medals.pl/pl), all credits given of course?

Hello Lukasz,

I was interested by your information on the breast star. In my collection I have this lower class cross without a ribbon. What class is it and what kind(colours) of ribbon do I need?

Kind regards,

Jef

Hello again Lukasz.

If the Breast Star was introduced in the the 1980s, was this during the Communist era (PRL, I think - right?), or after?

Also, I plan to put this on eBay in about a month. But, before I do that, are YOU interested? If yes, please feel free to make an offer. OK?

Take care. Linas

PS: mintmark will be sent shortly.

Hi,

I was away on a business trip with no connection to the Net. Now that I am back I will try to answer your questions.

The decoration was established as early as in 1946 in three lower classes, the two upper ones being added in 1980. All insignia, regardless the class should be in silver. Jef's class is an Officer or Member. The cross should have a silver finish, but in may have worn away with time. It looks like an early, pre-1980 production. The ribbon is similar to that of the Polish Independence Cross - black with red side stripes, but the stripes are narrower than in the Independence Cross - only 2 mm in the two lowest classes. Following the French manner, there is a rosette in the class of Officer.

The cross had nothing to do with the communist regime in Poland - all the time it was an award of an emmigrational combatant organization of Polish soldiers in France.

I have no information about the manufacturer, but considering there are a few different types, the crosses must have been ordered at different producers.

I will consider buying it. Linasl, can you PM me your conditions?

Best,

Lukasz

Hi,

I was away on a business trip with no connection to the Net. Now that I am back I will try to answer your questions.

The decoration was established as early as in 1946 in three lower classes, the two upper ones being added in 1980. All insignia, regardless the class should be in silver. Jef's class is an Officer or Member. The cross should have a silver finish, but in may have worn away with time. It looks like an early, pre-1980 production. The ribbon is similar to that of the Polish Independence Cross - black with red side stripes, but the stripes are narrower than in the Independence Cross - only 2 mm in the two lowest classes. Following the French manner, there is a rosette in the class of Officer.

The cross had nothing to do with the communist regime in Poland - all the time it was an award of an emmigrational combatant organization of Polish soldiers in France.

I have no information about the manufacturer, but considering there are a few different types, the crosses must have been ordered at different producers.

I will consider buying it. Linasl, can you PM me your conditions?

Best,

Lukasz

Hello Lukasz,

Thank you for your crystal clear information.

Kind regards from Flanders,

Jef

Hello Lukasz.

Just so I understand, this award was created and distributed by Polish Military in exile in France? If yes, what would my Breast Star have been awarded for, given that it is either the 1st or 2nd highest award in this grouping? Also, to whom would it be awarded - other Polish pre-Communist military or foreigners, or both?

Any additional help would be really appreciated.

Thank you. Linas

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Lucasz and everyone else.

I hope this is OK regarding the rules of this forum.

The Breast Star we have been discussing is now on eBay, with a Start Price of $9.99, and no reserve. You can find it here:

XRARE Polish Resistance in France Merit BREAST STAR - 190399337798

Or its URL is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190399337798&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Hope you enjoy. Take care. Linas