News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Vietnam Silver Star ,BS, PH Group

Here a group i just got from another Forum !

Officially engraved KIA Vietnam

sgt Green Was Co C 1/16th 9th Div

This unit was switched from 1st div with 5/60 Mech from the 9th div

In Aug. - Sept 1968 From my limited research only 10 KIAs from these 2 months in 1/16 before it officially became 5/60th Infantry and the

5/60th became un mech !! Confusing !!! THe units basiclly swithed out

Anyone Know what yellow ribbon medal is???

And GO # for SS or how green won his award !!

I only have limited info on this group So any info a help!!

Medals mounted on black felt

engravings ! I think a SS,BS,PH Is a little out of the norm for a VN era group I have seen wwII Triple Poustumous awards but Most groups from I see from VN are usually IMO just SS,PH or BS PH ! I found on a VN wall site A remeberance from his friend that he died trying to save a wounded comrade! Wrote to NARA But i don't think I will get any info because i need a GO #

So i will write for His IDPF see what i can find out!@!

• 4 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...

Man, you've been busy!! I didn't know you were doing VN. Nice grouping.

Jim

I have bounced around a bit for a while ! i been into VN and Korean war Kias for a long time ! They are imo undervalued !

I have a 187th AB KIA VN 1965 and a USMC KIA VN 1965 both early KIAs

I think that there is a strong chance that the Bronze Star was the first medal issued, later being upgraded to a Silver Star. It would be really cool to see that citation. You will have to post it, when you get it in. I have never seen two documents for two awards, for the same action(Award upgrade) in a grouping.

As I read the materials presented - the Bronze Star Medal was for Meritorious Service for his responsibilities during the period cited. The Silver Star was for valor - hence not an upgrade to the Silver Star - a different issue for a different reason.

As I read the materials presented - the Bronze Star Medal was for Meritorious Service for his responsibilities during the period cited. The Silver Star was for valor - hence not an upgrade to the Silver Star - a different issue for a different reason.

Agreed. The BS is clearly an atta boy. The wording is intentionally left vague so that for all we know, he came up with a more efficient method of filing casualty reports. The SS would have been awarded for an act of valor.