News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1914 EKII maker question

Hi gents, and first of all I know this may be hard to answer without photos, but as I have no good ones yet I'll try anyway. I have two that have a M or W on the ribbon ring. Now, all my EKIIs have the makers mark reading from the inside of the ribbon ring up towards the outside of the ribbon ring. The top of the letter would be on the outside of the ring, with the bottom of the letter on the inside of the ring. Does this make sense?

:speechless:

But my two 'W' EKs have different W's on the ribbon ring, and they have different date positions on the cross. One has the 1914/1813 dates at the bottom of the cross, the other has a gap of a few mm between the bottom of the cross and the bottom of the year. The actual numbers in the years are also different. They also have different W's or M's on the ribbon ring.

If my maker is read like all my other ones, would the maker Wagner have two different styles of crosses and makers marks? Or could one be an 'M' not a 'W'? If it was an M, it would be the first one I have that the makers mark is upside down on the ring compared to the others in my collection, (though to be fair I only have 15 so I'm not sure if they are all uniform in how the makers mark is stamped on the rings).

I am leaning towards that one is an 'M', even though it is upside down so to speak, as it looks like an M not a W, it has vertical lines not angled like a W, and I thought that would account for the different style of cross. The crowns also differ slightly. Were all makers marks stamped uniformly, read the same way on all EKs or not? Sorry again for no photos!

Edited by Troy Tempest

Hi Micha, but would the same maker have different types of maker mark? For example, the maker M or W, would their M or W always look the same? Both my M or W EKIIs maker marks are different, which makes me think they are not the same. If they aren't, one is upside down compared to the other. I will post some photos when I get my new camera, unfortunately the one I own now doesn't focus close enough to get good photos of makers marks.

Hi Micha, but would the same maker have different types of maker mark? For example, the maker M or W, would their M or W always look the same? Both my M or W EKIIs maker marks are different, which makes me think they are not the same. If they aren't, one is upside down compared to the other. I will post some photos when I get my new camera, unfortunately the one I own now doesn't focus close enough to get good photos of makers marks.

Welcome to the wonderful, confusing, entertaining, spend all your money and leave you with more questions than answers world of Imperial EK collecting LOL

Chris