News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Irish Seaman group from WW2

Hi,

Here is one nice group what belonged to Harold Jones (born 4th August 1918).

Amazing service on different ships during WW2, as well convoy p.209-10. Lots of action with the U-Boats, including surrending U-825.

His Medal Card indicates 7 Stars and medals. Haven't seen many this kind a full sets on the medal bars! Also he was awarded Soviet Union 40th Anniversary medal! Probably entitled when he served on the convoys to Russia. Again, not many of this kind a groups around what I know!

Any feedback of this group would be great!

149830290c247c_l.jpg

149830311c601c_l.jpg

Hello Noor -

A fantastic group with an amazing amount of paperwork. The medals themselves of great, but there, to me, is always that small, nagging bit of disappointment that they were not named - always leaving that annoying tiny element of doubt - so the paperwork here is treasure!

Do you have more on his service? That snippet about engaging U-boats sounds very interesting...

regards

Thomas

Thanks Thomas,

I will try to find some time and do some extra scans of his service documents, list of ships, etc.

This set actually contains as well four A4 pages owner's hand written text about his service, different operations - lots of action with te U-Boats, also hunt for "Tripitz", etc.

Dear Timo - a very interesting group and with the substantiating paperwork quite valuable. I am a little concerned that the list of medals issued does not have the usual 'x's' - however, it clearly states 'enclosed'. I would also say that the Italy Star should be to the left of the Burma Star - but, the ship may have been sent back ? Do you have the list of ships he served on ? Also, the late issue Russian medal should be kept with the group.

Value wise - I should say book value of the individual medals + the clasps, will be about £140-150 ($220-230) - however, with the clasps and the history and authentication could reach £200 - however, do bear in mind that a lot of people don't like the un-named British issue. Check with Christies or Sotheby's if in doubt. I have only given a price since you asked, and please remember that values can vary between Countries.

Best wishes Mervyn

Looking documents again and some extra facts;

Start his Service 1940

Release from Navy March 1946

Rank or Rating when discharge - AB3

Lived after the war in Ballyhaise, Co.Cavan, Ireland

Service most of times on the HMS Victory X

But looks like he was all over the places in short period of times. His ships, where he served

14995703f202d8_l.jpg

Certificate for Soviet medal (family cut out home address from the sheet)

1498303752441f_l.jpg

Hi Timo,

Very nice group!! Congratulations!!

I am specifically fan of this Soviet medal that must be one of the most lately awarded (2006)... Normally, in 2006, they should have awarded a Russian Federation commemorative medal, not a Soviet one... Very interesting.

Cheers.

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

Hi Timo,

Very nice group!! Congratulations!!

I am specifically fan of this Soviet medal that must be one of the most lately awarded (2006)... Normally, in 2006, they should have awarded a Russian Federation commemorative medal, not a Soviet one... Very interesting.

Cheers.

Ch.

Hi Ch. :cheers:

I wonder if they (AFPAA) were given a load of these medals to distribute and its taken this long (up to and beyond 2006) to work through the list of those entitled to them?

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

As far I know, there were around 5000 of those medals, what was awarded to "foreign" veterans, who had some kind a connection with the Soviet Union, during WW2.

7 meadals and clasps entitled, 8 on the bar!!

Have the stars got the reverse outside edges bevelled? As far as I am aware, post war issue did not.

Something odd here.

Regards,

Pete

Edited by wood