News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Opinion needed on a Crimea medal

Looks OK to me but appears at some stage to have been brooch-mounted (not an uncommon occurrence) and somewhat tidied up.

Named or unnamed?

Paul

I'll bite! What makes you say 'brooch mounted', Paul? Maybe I need new glasses - or a new brain - but the marks I'd expect aren't leaping off the screen at me. :unsure:

Peter

I'll bite! What makes you say 'brooch mounted', Paul? Maybe I need new glasses - or a new brain - but the marks I'd expect aren't leaping off the screen at me. :unsure:

Peter

Somethings happened to the left and right of the bust which to me looks like a very skilful repair of a brooching. I have seen similar pieces after a well known British repairer has dealt with them.

Paul

Paul - I can see marks to the left of the reverse - not sure about the other side. Perhaps it is edge knocking from other medals ? The suspender also has a slight lean - but, I see no signs of the claws being re-mounted. However - your eyes are probably better than mine....

Paul - I can see marks to the left of the reverse - not sure about the other side. Perhaps it is edge knocking from other medals ? The suspender also has a slight lean - but, I see no signs of the claws being re-mounted. However - your eyes are probably better than mine....

Mervyn,

if you look especially on the C to I of VICTORIA you can see a slightly oval lighter patch, it is not so clear in the photo of the opposite side but still evidence. A skilled jeweller, and I speak from experience, can replace a claw as if it was never removed.

All the best,

Paul

This thread was for advice before buying the medal someone offer me by email. But finnally I have not pruchase this one, after a few email with the seller he told me the edge were buffed somewhere back in times and the name was erased during this process. It was a complete turn off to me!

Thanks to all for advice.