News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Portugal - War Cross

That's good to know about the old OMSA articles. I had seen an ebay seller that recently had several of these older ('70's era) magazine lots offered for auction dirt cheap, but they were hit or miss of which ones he had and it always seemed the ones I were after were missing from the group.

Looking at the site, I do not see where it shows what magazines and what contents are available. Do you have to be a member to view this?

Thanks!

Tim

Yes, you need to be a member to access the "abstract" of the article.

:)

Bingo!!!

Furtados' article on these was in the November/December 2008 issue of the JOMSA. It Has EVERYTHING you need in it.

The state legislated the cross and private firms and shops in Portugal manufacture different variations. The old state military factories/mints have closed and these are still made today. Apparently, there is therefore, no such thing a a "fake' version of the cross. French firms may also have made the cross after WW1.

There are three different types with different centers (national shield)and reverse motifs: 1917, 1949 and 1971

For me it's always a fake if does'nt make a bridge to the story envolving the item (medal or not) ;)

• 6 months later...
    • 1 month later...

the info I have ..

"It is created by the decree of November 30, 1916 completed by the decree of July 1917 laying down the criteria for the award.

This Cross is awarded to the military "who have demonstrated value, courage, decisiveness, coolness and other qualities ... facing the enemy."

It has four classes corresponding to different levels of citation; crosses his identical, only clips on the tape to indicate the class awarded.

- 1st class: citation for the Order of the Army or Fleet marked by a small cross surrounded by laurel branches, all gold.

- 2nd class: citation for the Order of the Army Corps marked by the same small gold cross but not the laurel branches.

- 3rd class: citation for the Order of the Division marked by the same small silver cross but.

- Class 4: citation for the Order of the Brigade or Regiment marked by the same small cross but bronze patina.

If the recipient dies, to perpetuate his memory, the Cross will be given in a particular order, his widow, son or daughter, his parents, ...

The cross is made of bronze patina and there are variants of manufacturing ..."

Translated from French

Lambert

• 8 months later...

Hello all. My name is Tiago, I'm Portuguese, 20 years old, and currently a studier of the Portuguese War Cross Medal, and that is the correct full name of that insignia. This is my first adress to this forum, and let me first of all, congratulate the good work you do here to the phaleristic study.

My first contribution,to make easier seeing the various models allong the three main periods.

http://www.cruzdeguerra.blogspot.com/2011_10_01_archive.html

And my blog about the subject; sorry but it is in Portuguese.

http://www.cruzdeguerra.blogspot.com/

• 1 month later...

Dear Ulsterman, Thank you very much for the quick response to my question. I have in my possession a list of names of all foreign military personal who received the the Portuguese War Cross. Unfortunately google images did not help me.

But we never know, maybe someone has somewhere images to share.

Regards;

Tiago

It is not an easy job. But with your gentlemans help, I can do it!

Meanwhile I leave you here a scheme with the evolution of the Portuese War Cross Medal. However I advise you to go to my blog for better resolution and further information.

Here´s the link; http://www.cruzdeguerra.blogspot.com/2012/02/outro-quadro-expositor-dos-varios.html

• 1 year later...
    • 9 years later...

Yes, they're all war cross but from different periods. 1917, and post 1937 and 1945. There is a few more dates, these recognitions are a very rare thing. Who has it should never sell.