News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

It's a shoulder pad used to absorb recoil when shooting. Even today in marksmanship competions you see people wearing them. I know they were issued in ww1 to some men in the MGC.

Cheers

Chris

It's a shoulder pad used to absorb recoil when shooting. Even today in marksmanship competions you see people wearing them. I know they were issued in ww1 to some men in the MGC.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks Chris, never seen this before, what was throwing me was its on his left shoulder, he must be left handed.

Edited by jocktamson

I've seen a few of these, in red. I don't think they are to absorb recoil, as they are just a piece of melton and wouldn't help much. I've always believed they are to keep the tunic clean when the rifle is shouldered.

I have to say its always been my belief that it was a cover to keep the tunic clean when shouldering the rifle, but had no real proof, as i have never come across a tunic with one attached. Certainly censlenov's

explanation seems plausible apart from its on the left shoulder and there doesn't seem to be any padding in this cover to absorb any recoil, and yes i think your right, its a double barrel.....Rifle Volunteers!!

Thanks all for the added info

Edited by jocktamson

• 3 weeks later...

Came across the photograph of a Royal Marine dated 1897 which shows him wearing a similar attachment to the left shoulder of his tunic but with his straps and equipment worn underneath. Althought not exactly the same pattern as the one shown above it obviously serves the same purpose and I therefore wonder if it is designed to protect the leather equipment when the rifle is carried on the shoulder and not infact the tunic material?

I think that's a very good observation, Simon. Would certainly save the equipment from getting scuffed and moved around. As Jock says - rare pictures of this piece of cloth. Might it have been at the whim of a local colonel and not war office approved ?

Finally found a reference to this uniform item on www.royalsussex.org.uk which states that this item was introduced in conjunction with the 303 Lee-Metford rifle in 1888. Because of this rifles bolt action it had to be carried flat on the shoulder and so the shoulder protector was introduced to protect the tunic from oil or damage.

Best regards Simon