News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sun helmet identification, South African?

Gentlemen,

Here is an unused postcard which I recently obtained showing a Corporal and Private Soldier in tropical dress.

My initial thoughts when I picked it up was that they were British troops wearing a badge based on the Prince of Wales feathers badge however having now had time to study the image I'm not at all sure.

Having searched Peter's sun helmet site the closest resemblance I can find to the helmets is South African but I wonder whether the brass spike would be correct for that country.

Going on to the badge, could it infact be the South African Special Services Battalion badge? (Would that units formation tie in with the date of this image?)

As to the photographs location I have no idea but it appears that other tropical clothing is being worn by the other troops in the image.

The rear of the postcard just states 'British Made' and so if they are indeed South African forces are they in the UK for a Coronation or other parade?

Lots of unanswered questions from me again I'm afraid but that's the great thing about this forum, the wealth of knowledge of other members.

Thanks in advance :cheers:

Simon

Hi - Simon. I would say South African - the helmets have a familiar look about them - having said that - Stuart or, Will , will now prove me wrong... The helmet badge does look a little like the SSB - but, not sure about the collars - which should be mins. of the main one.

The background of hats and the trees in winter is interesting - could they have been in UK for a Coronation - perhaps King George 6th. in 1937 ? But, if so, why shorts ? Mervyn

Mervyn

Thanks for your comments, the image hasn't scanned too well and under a glass the collars do look similar, so possibly SSB.

Hadn't even thought about the shorts in an obvious autumn or winter shot! Strange. :speechless:

Best regards Simon

I have to agree with both of you that it would appear to be the badge and collar dogs of the South African Special Service Battalion which was formed in 1933.

As to why they are wearing shorts is a mystery, but there is still plenty of foliage on the trees so it may be early/mid Autumn - out here that is our balmiest period.

Stuart

Edited by Stuart Bates

Stuart

Many thanks for that. I think the 'British Made' on the rear of the card made me assume it was taken in the UK, I suppose it may have just been printed here for distribution back in South Africa and so shorts would have been the norm.

By the way did you get the Herts Yeomanry helmet?

Best regards Simon

• 2 years later...

Special Service Bn. c. 1934-1939. They are dressed according to the 1934 Dress Regulations for the Union Defence Force. The SSB uniform at the time was khaki drill (as a unit they did not wear the grey green option & SSB had their own chapter in the 1934 regs.). Five button khaki drill uniforms are as worn by SA other ranks pre-WW2. Khaki shorts & puttees etc.pretty standard too. Photo could easily have been taken in temperate Cape Town (e.g. Opening of Parliament, new Governor-General or similar ceremony) and photograph printed on paper imported from the UK. SSB had a detachment in Wynberg in the 1930s as well. Pre-war it was the main training unit.

• 2 weeks later...

The SSB was a unit reknown for their discipline and very high standards and amongst their instructors was the legendary colour-sergeant Brand from the Guards who was attached to them as a drill instructor.

They were regularly used for drill displays, official funerals and demonstrations due to their record and capabilities.

There is a book in process regarding their history and militaria and their dress varied dramatically depending on availability of the stock.

I have assisted with pre and WW2 militaria from my collection on the SSB.

This helmet in question was known as a "polo" helmet but they also wore caps and wolseley pattern helmets.

Webbing varied from the pattern 1908 to the braithwaight pattern before WW2 when the pattern 37 webbing set was used.

They are wearing the Braithwaight pattern in this photograph.

My grandfather was in the unit and I will start a seperate thread on their items/militaria.

Edited by sabrigade