News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Arpax proff to 20,000 volts!

coldstream

Thought I would show a fairly common item of British homefront equipment which still turns up regularly at fairs and boot sales.

The Arpax consisits of a steel hand axe with insulated hard compound handle.

This version was manufactured by the company 'Chillington' and has the handle detail stating that it can withstand 20.000 volts.

I wonder how many user's trusted the 20,000 volts claim!

Not as popular amongst collectors as the RAF escape axe's but nice items none the less.

Simon

Mervyn

The camera is ready and waiting to go but as I was always told never volunteer for anything! so we'll never be able to test the manufacturers boast I'm afraid.

Seriously though imagine using one of these things to hack through electrical cables in a burning building about to collapse.

Brave men indeed.

Simon

Hi Simon,

Thanks for posting this, I really like this sort of equipment including the RAF (also RCAF)escape axe, which I am still looking for.

Thanks as well to Mervyn as I missed this post and only "caught it" when reading his inspired post this afternoon.

I think the claim that this was proof against 20,000 volts is a bit of a dream. We used to think that wooden ladders were proof against electrocution and that has been proven wrong (not by me personaly). Considering the amount of water, sweat and other conductors that would be in and around a fire site I think there would be a good chance of the current running along the handle to the firefighter. :speechless1:

Still a great piece of equipment.

Thanks again for sharing it.

Regards

Brian