News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi guys - just looking for some information on Majors und Rechtsritters des johanitterordens Georg Ludwig Edmund Theodor Gustav Adam von Diepenbroick-Grueter (* 19. Januar 1865 in Münster; † 7. Juni 1937 in Hannover).

Specifically looking for post 1900 military posting(s), namely a regiment (I'm assuming the 16th Dragoner Regt should figure in there somewhere...)

Thanks guys, the only ranklist I have here is 1914, the two Diepenbroick-Grueter mentioned are definitely not our man above. Given the DOB and rank of Major he should show up in the 1900-1905 (ish?) lists...

Thanks again,

Luc

I just checked some ranklists and of course found some of this family - but no one that is a Rechtsritter des Johanitterordens.....and there are no first names for these listings in the rank lists. Maybe he became a Rechtsritter after his military career...?

In 1909 Major Freiherr von Diepenbroick-Grüter (11.09.08) commanded the II. Bataillon of Grenadier-Regiment "Koenig Wilhelm I." (2. Westpreussisches) Nr.7

Edited by Naxos

Hi Hardy,

you have the wrong guy...... ;)

The one Luc is looking for is Rittmeister Georg Freiherr von Diepenbroick-Grüter , Kürassier Regiment 4 , 1906 z.D. with the uniform of this regiment.... had Centenarmedal , RAO4 and Johanitter Ehrenritter , not Rechtsritter......

cheers

Heiko

Luc,

From 22.07.00-18.12.03 he was commander of the 5th squadron of Husaren R. 11 (Düsseldorf). From 18.12.03-1905 he was commander of the 5th squadron of Kürassier R. 4 (Münster). He retired sometime between Jun 1905 and April 1906.

The 1905 Army List shows his only awards to be the PRAO4 and PStJO.

Andy

Edited by arb

Hey guys - thanks for the info - disappointing I thought I had ID'd the owner of my 16th Dragoon Visor ... I know Diepenbroick-Grueter's son was involved in the creating of the WWI regimental history of the 16th Dragoons and with the Major later dying in Hannover the match looked good. Oh well, back to the drawing board banger.gif .

Thanks again everybody,

Luc

As a point of interest, there appears to have been another Freiherr von Diepenbroick-Grueter that doesn't show up on the rangliste. Just picked up a copy of the 16th Dragoner Regt history... lo and behold, at "G" Reserve-Kavallerieabteilung 78

Oblt a.D. Frhr von Diepenbroick-Grueter.

That I believe is the source of my mystery cypher - I've been able to eliminate all other candidates.

Obviously a different person than the Major - it was his son I believe...

Hans-Dietrich Heinz Otto Adam Freiherr von Diepenbroick-Grueter

Helped write the combined regimental history of the 16th Dragoons which also contains the history of the associated Reserve Kavallerieabteilung 78.

Cheers guys,

Luc

very interesting , especially under the point of view that he was 12 (twelve!!!) years old when ww1 started in 1914....

Hi Heiko,

Yes the only plausible theories are either he was a late war (ie 1918) entry, or the Oblt listed was a brother of his who joined post 1914?. Research continues.

The man I listed DID assist in writing the 16th's regimental history. Just not sure if he contributed to writing about his older brother's regiment?

The Rittmeister I mentioned previously in this thread, Georg, and whom Luc agreed was not the man he was searching for, had three sons. They were Gert (*28.05.1894), a Fähnrich in Dragoner R. 16 in 1914, Jürgen (*09.06.1899) and Hans-Dietrich (*27.07.1902). So, absent any confirmation, a case could easily be made that the very fine cap pictured in this thread belonged to Gert given his regimental affilition (he is also to be found in the Ehrenrangliste on page 421 in Dragoner R. 16).

However, it's always tricky to decide an item belonged to a certain individual solely on circumstantial evidence, no matter how tempting it might be to claim to have identified an owner. I for one would be wary of stating a connection exists. Nevertheless, I think Gert is a strong candidate as the owner.

I used the 1914 "Gothaisches Genealogisches Taschenbuch der Freiherrlichen Häuser" as my source.

Andy

The missing link is found. Thanks so much Andy, than makes alot more sense. I agree difficult t orush to judgement, just with the amount of research I've done in eliminating other potential candidates in the 16th and other yellow piped dragoon regiments, I'm quite confident in this fit. Thanks again for everyone's help!beer.gif

Luc

Just found a photo of the owner, Oblt. Gert Freiherr von Diepenbroick-Grüter while in Reserve Kavallerieabteilung 78 (centre)

Edited by Luke