News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Simon Bolivar Breast Star ?

Greetings All.

I just bought what was described to me as a "Simon Bolivar Breast Star" - photo of front attached.

On the front in the center circle it states "19 DE APRIL DE 1810" + "10 DE FEBRERODE 1859" + "INDEPENDENCIA FEDERACION E.E.O.U. DE VENEZUELA"

On the reverse it suriosly has the maker's name, which is in the US, as follows : "NS. MEYER INC. NEW YORK" + "ARMY NAVY EQUIPMENT MEYER NEW YORK" in an American-style shield.

It measures 84 mm long and 76 mm wide

I have several questions:

1. Is this an OFFICIAL Order of Venezuela, or is this a Fantasy piece?

2. If OFFICIAL:

a. when was it issued?

b. who was eligible to receive it?

c. how many levels did this Order come in?

d. is it still issued today?

e. what do the intials "E.E.O.U." stand for that are on the front of the Breast Star?

3. I know some of the history behind Simon Bolivar and how he was the leading force behind the independence movements in a number of South American countries. Did each of these countries issue their own "Simon Bolivar" Order/Medal?

4. Why was it made by Meyer of the US?

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Take care.

Linas

Edited by Linasl

It is a real medal. Take a lok at the OMSA database.

Meyer made all sorts of medals for South American and Caribbean countries. They sold off a lot of their stuff on eBay about 5-10 years ago.

This looks like an older piece.

The order has been revived over the past few years as the present "governmental head" of Venezuela seems to fancy himself a reincarnated Bolivar.

This is the breast star of the third class (commander's grade) of the Venezuelan Order of the Liberator, also referred to as "The Bust of Bolivar". Mayer made these in the 1960s period and perhaps later. Mayer was fairly aggressive in marketing its insignia-making to Latin America, taking advantage of the situation in Cuba, where Villardebo y Riera were limited in their outside contacts. Some of the early 20th Century stars of the order were made in Venezuela, with quality matching anything produced in Europe. I suspect that Mayer got the contract based on cost.

The Order of the Liberator is a 5-class order, founded in 1825 and revised over the years. Its current form really dates from revisions in 1912 and it's still active today as a military and civil order for merit.

Some sources say the proper name is the "Order of the Bust of Bolivar", but the cases for the order insignia say "Orden del Libertador" (Order of the Liberator).

This is the breast star of the third class (commander's grade) of the Venezuelan Order of the Liberator, also referred to as "The Bust of Bolivar". Mayer made these in the 1960s period and perhaps later. Mayer was fairly aggressive in marketing its insignia-making to Latin America, taking advantage of the situation in Cuba, where Villardebo y Riera were limited in their outside contacts. Some of the early 20th Century stars of the order were made in Venezuela, with quality matching anything produced in Europe. I suspect that Mayer got the contract based on cost.

The Order of the Liberator is a 5-class order, founded in 1825 and revised over the years. Its current form really dates from revisions in 1912 and it's still active today as a military and civil order for merit.

Some sources say the proper name is the "Order of the Bust of Bolivar", but the cases for the order insignia say "Orden del Libertador" (Order of the Liberator).

Thanks to both of you. It REALLY helps!

Take care. Linas

Well Jeff Floyd really is the expert. i am glad I got as much right as I did. One think-look up Order of the Liberator" on google-it shows up in all sorts of internet biographies. Apparently these days it goes to all sorts of party hacks and friends (interesting the number of Cubans who now have it-THOSE groups will be worth a fortune in 50 years. I found a number of references to awards to US Army officers..... USAF Eaker for example.

Well Jeff Floyd really is the expert. i am glad I got as much right as I did. One think-look up Order of the Liberator" on google-it shows up in all sorts of internet biographies. Apparently these days it goes to all sorts of party hacks and friends (interesting the number of Cubans who now have it-THOSE groups will be worth a fortune in 50 years. I found a number of references to awards to US Army officers..... USAF Eaker for example.

Thankd Geoff, I'll do that.

Take care.

Linas

• 6 months later...

Hi Linas, it says april 10th 1810, february 10th 1859, independence, federation; e.e.u.u. de venezuela is anacronism of United States of Venezuela (Estados Unidos de Venezuela) wich was the official name Venezuela had since 1864 to 1953 where the name was changed to Republic of Venezuela

ah, and it was made by Meyer because Venezuela has been an almost non productive country since generations ago, even clothes are imported from peru or china instead or being made here, so as most of the magazines people read.

Hope it helps

cheers mate