News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

going to meet a female GM wearer!

In November, during a so called "veterans'week" Mrs. Folmer from the Netherlands is one of our guests. Mrs. Folmer was in the Dutch resistance and wearer of the Dutch Bronze Lion, the American Medal of Freedom with Gold palm and the British George Medal.

Is there any info to be found in archives about this george medal? How do I start to search? I would like to find out more background info so I can prepare some questions..

Per "The Medals Decorations & Orders of World War II 1939-1945" by Alec A. Purves the George Medal was instituted on 24 September 1940 and was primarily intended for civilians but could be awarded to members of the armed forces for acts of great bravery for which purely military Honours are not normally granted.

the medal , in silver, has the crowned effigy of the Sovereign on the obv. , while the rev. depicts "St. George slaying the Dragon on the coast of England", the design is after a bookplate in the Royal Library, Windsor Castle. Suspension is by a ring. The ribbon is 32 mm wide, red with five equally spaced narrow Garter blue stripes. A bar was authorized.

Naming is usually by engraved capitals , with or without serifs, but some impressed examples are known.

This gives the main points of the George Medal.

Bernhard H. Holst

Edited by Bernhard H.Holst

In November, during a so called "veterans'week" Mrs. Folmer from the Netherlands is one of our guests. Mrs. Folmer was in the Dutch resistance and wearer of the Dutch Bronze Lion, the American Medal of Freedom with Gold palm and the British George Medal.

Is there any info to be found in archives about this george medal? How do I start to search? I would like to find out more background info so I can prepare some questions..

I'm sure this should go with out saying (but I will anyway :rolleyes: )

PLEASE make sure someone takes a few pictures of this honorable lady and the medals. (You can get into one or two of them too:D

Thanks for sharing

Ed

• 1 month later...

Joke Folmer smuggled more than three hundred people across the border during the war, including Allied pilots.

More here: http://www.tellingsilence.nl/Silence/uk/chapter_1/folmer/folmer.html

Edited by Naxos