News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My first Danish medal!

Noor

Hi all,

I would like to share my very first medal from Denmark - Commemorative Medal for the War of 1864. Nice and interesting piece. If some of you have more information about this, I would be very happy to learn more!

As far I know that this medal was awarded as a commemorative medal from 1864 Danish-Prussian war. Made in France. How many of these was aprox minted... 50,000-60,000?

16656513aa1f10_o.jpg

Congrats! :)

A similar medal was struck for the first Danish-Prussian war 1848-50. Both medals weren't awarded until 1876 because of long winded discussions of whether it was 'appropriate' to award them or not. A shameful affair... one of the arguments for not awarding medals just after the war(s) was that it might offend the Prussians(!)

Both the 1848-50 and 1864 medals were awarded approx. 40.000 times each. The medal for participants in both wars were awarded about 3.000 times.

The 1848-50 medal has the bust of King Frederik VII on the obverse and '1848-50' on the reverse.

The 1864 medal has the bust of King Christian IX on the obverse and '1864' on the reverse.

The 1848-50/1864 medal has the busts of King Frederik VII and Christian IX on the obverse and '1848-50 1864' on the reverse.

The recipients did have to have been involved in frontline service. Personnel who spend all the time in the reserve force did not receive the medal.

/Michael