News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gerbirgsjager and Jager arm patch question

I'm curious as to why every Gerbirgsjager and Jager patch for sale by dealers and collectors are always in almost unused condition or mint. Since I started collecting in the mid 90's, I have never seen any patches that are in worn condition or having been described as 'taken from a tunic', unlike other 3rd Reich era patches.. Is there any pacticular reason why almost all Gerbirgsjager and Jager patches currently for sale are almost brand new? Given that both patches are still easily obtainable, would I be right in assuming that no serious attempt has been made to fake these patches?

Edited by Fariz

I think they are simply things that were availible in huuuuge amounts after the war, and are basically all the same... so unlike things with "variation collectors", most collectors need just one... Its the same for the signals badge, pfc pip etc. etc.....

There are more on the market than there are collectors who need them.

Best

Chris

As Chris said - also every Jäger/Gebirgsjäger was given several patches. I agree, more unused patches survived than used ones.

Thanks for the feedback.

I think the same would apply to Heer/Kriegsmarine/Luftwaffe trade patches. They still are easily available in unused or mint condition on account of them being made in the many thousands. Unfortunatly, the same cant be said of the Gerbirgsjager metal cap badges which are becoming increasingly harder to get.

Does anyone know which version of the Gerbirgsjager arm patch, the printed or embroidered version, was manufactured in larger numbers and which was first manufactured? Thank you, Fariz.

Edited by Fariz

Fariz,

Most of my WWII era GJ arm badges were bought many years ago and most of those on the market at that time had been removed from tunics. While these arm badges were no doubt made in large numbers during the war there are other reasons why there are a lot of GJ arm badges on the market in unused condition;

1-they have been faked because collecting GJ stuff has always been popular;

2-they are still worn by the post war GJ in the German army. I have both in my collection and although I haven't spent any time researching the difference between the war time and post war badges, both in cloth and in metal, I must find the time to do that in the not too distant future.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig