News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

This will be my first non Bavarian item which got my attention because it most likely belonged to a doctor. It has not arrived from Mr. Beck yet but I could not wait to show you and ask couple of questions.

So what we have here is:

1) EK2 for non combatants

2) Prussian Kriegshilfdienst cross

3) Red Eagle - question is which class? Medal only or 4th class?

4) Red cross medal - I suppose it's 3rd class as I think 2nd and 3rd class were allowed to be worn together, so 1 ribbon only means 3rd class

5) Prussian Long Service cross - 25 years, right? He was in already in 1897 so 15 years would not be the case

6) German South West Africa - no idea what was this for...some battles in the colonies?

7) Centennial Medal

As far as I understood from Paul's "Researching German pre 1945 medal bars" topic this one cannot be identified as there are no award rolls for non-comb EK2s and Prussian DRK :(

And here it is, using photo from dealer:

post-6506-061832500 1286099636.txt

Edited by avadski

Nice bar, but unlikely to be a (military) doctor's: Anyone who entered the borders for WW1 would have gotten the EK an combattant ribbon, even if he was not a combattant. So this one is from someone who was in Germany in WW1 - and likely as well in 1906/08. South West Africa medal is probably in steel for stay-at-homes.

Typical for an official, as Paul said.

Sascha, Paul...thank you guys.

Could you please be more precise with the term 'Official'?

Who could that be? Someone who worked for government and was ensuring that things were done in accordance with the law? For example in this case some sort of Medical Inspector?

Thank you.

I suspect some sort of OberArztdR as the Red Cross medal is in wartime precedence.

As Sascha said before, any kind of medical officer (Sanitätsoffizier), who did service outside of Germany is for this ribbon bar impossible, because of the EK on white ribbon. Most of the nonkombattant EK we find on ribbon bars/order bars belongs to "officials" (Beamte). There were military officials and civil officials. Because of the same reason, as described for the medical officers, most of the military officials got the EK on the black ribbon. In the same way the Red Cross Medal and the Verdienstkreuz für Kriegshilfsdienst were given for any kind of "home service" and not only for special medical service. Therefore the combination of 1914 EK2 on white ribbon with these both decoration often belongs to civil officials, who did service in Germany for instance in ministries or administration. These rules are only for EK2 1914, in 1870 it was different.

Regards, Komtur.