News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

USN Militia?

Odulf

As I am more focussed on European militaria, I am puzzled by this American. Can any one identify the period, uniform and medal, please?

The photo is Cabinet size, rubber stamped on the reverse: Wm. Phipps - Photographer - 708 7th Street N.W. - Washington D.C.

post-7824-026637100 1286353766_thumb.jpg

Appears to be circa 1880-1900 United States Coast Guard Lieutenant. Not positive as can not read letters above cap eagle. Very nice and interesting photo. Cheers Captain Albert

As I am more focussed on European militaria, I am puzzled by this American. Can any one identify the period, uniform and medal, please?

The photo is Cabinet size, rubber stamped on the reverse: Wm. Phipps - Photographer - 708 7th Street N.W. - Washington D.C.

Edited by army historian

The letters look to me like they end with AA, which made me think of the uniformed officer corps of the NOAA, but back then it was known as the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey so the AA wouldn't work out.

I just fiddled with the brightness and contrast of the cap only and it looks like it says M M ? A, I can't make out the third letter. I thought possibly the Merchant Marine Academy, but it wasn't formed until 1943 prior to that there were state academies in New York, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and some other states.

Edited by Mike Dwyer

• 3 weeks later...