News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mounting British or British style medals.

Hello everyone, I wondering if anyone knew how to mount British or at least British style Medals onto a Medal bar? I have a few grouping but no idea about how to mount them. I am thankful for any help that anyone could give.

Hi Lion 101,

Check this link out. The medals are Indian but I use the same method on British except I don't stitch along the medal's mounting bar.

http://sagongs.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=2511

You can send me an email if you would like more assistance.

Lion 101 - It is actually very simple. Court mount is more of a project (depending on the number and type of awards). First there are some standards, but I have seen these ignored. Length of ribbon of full sized medal about 4". The first thing is the Bar in most cases should not exceed 8", but I have seen groups going across someones chest almost to the right hand pocket. No overlap at most 8 medals. Most British pin bars are set for 5-6 medals. Lets say 5 medals. No overlap, 4 inch ribbon lengths. Start with a card board (Like back of writing tablet) 5" x 5". Take extra ribbon glue to card board at bottom (say enough upwards so medals will cover upper portion. Fold ribbon around bottom with enough so that backing material will cover (about 1/4" to 1/2"). You now have a piece of cardboard with ribbon on the bottom in proper order. The Medals are mounted from last to first (same as overlapped).You hang the full medal ribbon (either double width or cut so only outer ribbon piece folds over top of cardboard. Over lap top of cardboard about 1/2" so you can sew the ribbon to the cardboard (through the inside [ribbon side of cardboard] to the back). Secure each medal in this fashion until all are mounted. Must be careful that they all hang at proper length and match each other. Now sew or wire (very thin copper of brass) the medals to cardboard backing. Next attach (sew) the pin mount to the back of the cardboard mounting plate. Last mount a cover material (backing) of your choice of color and material (usually felt or velvet) Red for Red Uniform or Army, Navy for Blur or Navy uniform, etc. I hope this helps. In the case of many medals you have to figure out a uniform amount of overlap. 16 medals on 8" bar = British ribbon about 1" wide, so 16" of ribbon, on 8" mount. This is 8" divided by 16" = one half inch overlap, or half the ribbon (British). That is about the limit. Must be careful to keep overlap uniform. I Hope this helps. Happy sewing, PM or email me if you need more assistance. Cheers Captain Albert

Edited by army historian