News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Greetings Gents,

I am partially Hanoverian and Hessian (Kurhessen) in descent and I am interested in researching the Jäger-Bataillon Nr. 10 (Hannoversches) especially during its service in the Alpenkorps 1915-1919.

Specifically curious about

1. Uniform changes? Were they still wearing the Gibralter cuffe title?, Did they adopt the Bergmutze? Did the have the green trim and shoulder strapes? etc... I hope you get the idea.

2. does anyone have any literary sources and or photos they would be willing to share digitally?

3. Was there ever an Alpenkorps Beer Stein?

Thanks for the attention

Doc Wilson

" The soldier knows little of philosophers but in him and in his deeds life expresses itself more profoundly than any book can" - Ernst Junger

Chris I enjoyed your website: That is were I delightfully discovered much of the information that prompted my question here.

Doc Wilson

PS- Speaking of WWI / Imperial Era Beer steins is there one for the Jaeger Regiment Nr.2 or Jaeger Bataillon Nr.10? I do have a friend in Munich who is actively looking for me.

Hi Doc,

We love the Alpenkorps here!!!!!

Welcome.

I will dig for photos when I get back home, will be a few days.

I wish there WAS an Alpenkorps Beer Stein! You will have to go with a Regt one if you can find one.

Best

Chris

Doc,

I can offer some reference material for you. If you have not visited it, this wiki reference gives you an over view of the Alpen Korps. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpenkorps_(German_Empire)

2-For books - Brassey's History of Uniforms - World War One German Army ISBN 1 57488 278 3 has some interesting coverage on the uniforms of mountain and ski units that were used to form the Alpen Korps and the Korps itself.

Another, more general book, is the Osprey Men-AT-ARMS series "The German Army 1914-1918".

Brassey makes note of a special "pine green" basic uniforms for both ski and mountain troops consisting of a special tunic and trousers. The cap worn was the "skimutze" which was inspired by similar Austrian and Norwegian type hats. Green would appear to have been the arm of colour for the mountain infantry.

Regards,

Gordon

Doc,

I can offer some reference material for you. If you have not visited it, this wiki reference gives you an over view of the Alpen Korps. http://en.wikipedia...._(German_Empire)

2-For books - Brassey's History of Uniforms - World War One German Army ISBN 1 57488 278 3 has some interesting coverage on the uniforms of mountain and ski units that were used to form the Alpen Korps and the Korps itself.

Another, more general book, is the Osprey Men-AT-ARMS series "The German Army 1914-1918".

Brassey makes note of a special "pine green" basic uniforms for both ski and mountain troops consisting of a special tunic and trousers. The cap worn was the "skimutze" which was inspired by similar Austrian and Norwegian type hats. Green would appear to have been the arm of colour for the mountain infantry.

Regards,

Gordon

Thank you Gordon I have all of Nigel Thomas's Osprey works.... I am going to check out the Brassey's recommendation you have made.

Doc Wilson

Brassey makes note of a special "pine green" basic uniforms for both ski and mountain troops consisting of a special tunic and trousers. The cap worn was the "skimutze" which was inspired by similar Austrian and Norwegian type hats.

Hi,

I dont think this is true for the Alpenkorps, in spite of their name.

Best

chris

I have become so smitten with this project that I have found a book which I am now looking for and I believe it should hold the answers I am looking for concerning the 10th Jaeger Battalion the Reserve Battalion and its experiences in the Alpenkorps. If I am able to get this I will gladly share what I glean with anyone else who will swear the US Marines are full of nonsesnse and sailor molesters. Intersting Gunderian was in the 10 Jagers for a while !!! trey interesting!

Airborne all the way !

Doc Wilson

- Bücher, GOSLARER JÄGER IM WELTKRIEG

post-10607-078056100 1286997511_thumb.jp post-10607-084801400 1286997497_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

There was an Alpenkorps stein! I had a chance to buy one back in the 1980s, but didn't have the money.

Chip

That is indeed interesting! I have always looked and never found.

From the production method do you think it was from a larger production run of steins or a one off? Do you think it was wartime or a post WW1 memorial piece?

Best

Chris

Chris,

I have a rather poor photo of it somewhere. Let's see if I can come up with it. I really could not say if it was a one time piece. It was a large stoneware stein and now that I think about it, it may have been 3.Jäger Rgt., because it had the Karpathenkorps and the Edelweiss on it, as well as the "S".

• 2 months later...

I am hoping to have someone share a few details, pieces of knowledge. It is for a modeling project of mine. I have seen tons of pics of the bavarians... I was hoping to see if anyone had any of the Battalions in the 2nd Jager Regiment (Prussian) ( Jager Bn 10, Reserve Jager Battalion 10 and Jager Battalion 14)

I am trying to determine

1) if in the alpenkorps there was use of the bergmutze in the Jager battalions... after 1915-1916. Most of the photos I have seen are the feldmutze or Jager Shako.

2) if the Gibralter cuff title was seen in any photos post 1915? for the Jager Battalion Nr 10

3) were they equipped with the Bergen style mountain back pack?

Thanks

Doc