News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Presentation Shoulder Strap in Silver and Gold

Chuck In Oregon

This is a presentation piece upon, as I recall, the departure of Gen.-Maj. G. P. Ardjavanidze to assume a higher command. As I translate this -- and I am not positive of the middle initial -- the reverse reads:

"General-Major G. P. Ardjavanidze, from the officers of the 16th Grenadier Regiment - Tiflis - 1916"

The 16th was Tiflis' (Tbilisi's) own. They were numbered, rather than previously named, after the 1915 death of their named patron who was, if I recall correctly, one Duke Mikhail. I just may have that name confused with another, but not the numbering part.

Solid silver with gold stars and trim.

Chuck

Hi George

I should remember to include the size of things like this.

This one is 4-1/8" x 1-7/8" (10.5cm x 4.7cm) and it weighs 62.57 grams. A sizable piece of silver and gold.

I enjoy presentation pieces. I have 2-3 more, a couple of silver vodka cups and a silver plaque that was removed from a desk set. They remind me of the people behind the awards.

Were you thinking of the small sweetheart jetons? They are about an inch or so long. I have 7-8 of those that I have thought about showing here. I even have 1-2 from general officers.

Chuck

I am really surprised on how much Imperial silver and gold awards survived, In the EAST.

My understanding was most all item that were worth CASH would have been sold as scrap long ago. :(

Well I guess that great for us collectors. :cheers:

Keep them coming Chuck.

George

Edited by georgecl

I am really surprised on how much Imperial silver and gold awards survived, In the EAST.

My understanding was most all item that were worth CASH would have been sold as scrap long ago. :(

Well I guess that great for us collectors. :cheers:

Keep them coming Chuck.

George

I have been offered, on a couple of occasions, the left-overs after an Order of Lenin had been dismembered. On both occasions the explanation was the same ... they went into gold teeth. One of the occasions involved TWO Lenins to the same person. Sigh.

There is still a lot left to collect if you look hard. My friends still find some incredible things for me. It's their hard work that keeps me in new collectibles.

I had a very large bag of silver items a couple of years ago, maybe 25 sizable items, that I eventually was prohibited from taking home with me. No particular reason, except that everyone wanted a bribe. I eventually re-sold them to some Georgians. Oh well.

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

That my understanding as well now.

They dont let much out of there countries, using the national treasure type of excuse.

I under stand easily overcome with $$$..

I'll have to find some living relatives in russia.. :D

Thanks for posting

George

PS some great item in the "commie" section as well.

maybe I'll have to start collecting that as well.

My Grandmother would be turning in her grave.. :angry:

Just kidding grandma! :lol: