News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Doing The Honors

Kim and I have many all time favorite British shows we've watched over the years on PBS here in the states. One of them is Yes, Minister/Yes, Prime Minister. I have the whole series on DVD and just recently went through and watched them all. One of my favorites is the one about the civil service receiving honours. Here's a couple of my favorite quotes:

(Talking about the abbreviations of the honours CMG, KCMG and GCMG)

Bernard Woolley: "Of course in the service, CMG stands for Call Me God. And KCMG for Kindly Call Me God."

Jim Hacker: "What does GCMG stand for?"

Bernard Woolley: "God Calls Me God."

Jim Hacker: "When did a civil servant last refuse an honour?"

Bernard Woolley: "Well I think there was somebody in the Treasury that refused a Knighthood."

Jim Hacker: "Good God. When?"

Bernard Woolley: "I think it was 1496."

Jim Hacker: "Why?"

Bernard Woolley: "He had already got one."

Here's the episode online:

http://www.free-tv-v...?id=Orf3b0ShUNE

For the second quote go to about 5:50 and it's in a great conversation there, then the first quote is in one between the Minister and Bernard at about 15:50. But the entire episode is very funny with lots of mentions of Orders and Honours.

Sir Nigel Barnard Hawthorne (Sir Humphrey Appleby) after receiving the C.B.E.

post-873-011405600 1290573732_thumb.jpg

Sir Paul Eddington (The Minister/Prime Minister) was also awarded a C.B.E. but I could not find a picture of him with it. Both these fine actors have since passed on. Derek Fowlds who played Bernard is happily still with us.

Have fun! beer.gif

Dan cheers.gif

Edited by Hauptman

(Talking about the abbreviations of the honours CMG, KCMG and GCMG)

Bernard Woolley: "Of course in the service, CMG stands for Call Me God. And KCMG for Kindly Call Me God."

Jim Hacker: "What does GCMG stand for?"

Bernard Woolley: "God Calls Me God."

Hello Dan......

That has been around for so long that I think it was written by God...... LOL

Mike

THE BREST BADGE - KCMG AND GCMG

post-9764-075135100 1290576265_thumb.jpg

Hi Mike. Stunning pieces... are they yours? If so you are indeed a lucky man. I love all the British Orders, especially the breast stars but the one neck Order that I truly LOVE is the C.B.E. I think that is the most beautiful blue enamel they used on those. I have just received a nice copy from a friend as an early Christmas present and it's as close as I'm likely to come, at least for some time. I had a cased M.B.E. for years but sadly had to let it go along with the best of my small British collection in order to get some other pieces I wanted to get a couple of years ago. But hoping against hope to be able to get examples of the M.B.E., O.B.E. and C.B.E. at some point down the road.

Dan cheers.gif

Good Morning Dan.......

The first picture is mine but I am afraid to say the GCMG is not........ Have not won the Lottery yet.......

Take a look at this forum thread: http://www.britishme...=46638&start=15

Just scroll down a bit......

Mike

Hi Mike,

I tried to go there but needed to register. So I tried... it kept not accepting it saying I needed to choose an interest although I had... medal collector. Finally I had to choose another, researcher, before it would accept my registration but now it says the administrators have to approve the registration. So until that happens I can't see the thread.speechless.gifspeechless.gifunsure.gif I'm hoping if they do approve that it won't be a problem for them to change the interest to medal collector.

Dan cheers.gif